Honored Contributor

@beach-mom wrote:

@J Town Girl wrote:

For the first few years I really enjoyed Mike & Molly but then, for some reason, it suddenly became the Molly show and poor Billy Gardell who was the character of Mike was almost erased from the show.

It seemed like every episode in later seasons just centered on Melissa McCarthy.   The show was fun and very interesting when it focused on the relationship between both of them.  

My personal opinion was that he was always funnier and more entertaining than she was.  I just love him on Bob Heart Abishola.  

@J Town Girl - You're exactly right! Melissa wasn't a big deal when the show started, then she became one. They tried to make her into the new "Lucy," after they were married and Molly left teaching. 

Melissa wanted bigger things and left. Of course the wonderful ensemble cast was left behind. Unfortunately. Every single one of them was terrific! 

I have little patience for actors who do this. America Ferrera is another one who did.

I loved this show, and I miss it.

@beach-mom    @J Town Girl

"Other actors were left behind"?   Every actor's career is, basically, a succession of short term roles, whether they work in film, television or stage. 

In television, it's often NOT in their best interests career-wise to stay with a show if they aren't getting good renewal contracts, or the ratings have been dropping.  Every actor on that show will continue to make money from the M&M residuals, and also have the freedom to seek out new opportunities.   I think that show ended at exactly the right time for all the actors.  Who wants to be contractually stuck in a show that's sinking?   

From what I've read, Melissa always wanted to focus on film work, (remember her films with Sandra Bullock?), but Mike and Molly came along and made her more of a household name.  It was a springboard to not only work in film again, but to produce projects.   As women get older, it's smart to pursue projects behind the camera, not in front of it.

IMO, I don't know who has been helping to manage Melissa's career,  but the steps taken were very smart.  Every actor has to think what's best for their career, both short and long term.  

Honored Contributor

@BeccaLou wrote:

I think Mike sounds like Lou Costell could be his Dad. From" Abott and Costello "

@BeccaLou 

When Billy Gardell was starting out in comedy and creating his on-stage persona, one of his primary "role models"  was Jackie Gleason.   I had seen Billy do a stand up routine once, and didn't make the connection until I later read Gleason was one of his faves.  After reading that, it was very obvious to me.   Gleason was a hoot, too.

Honored Contributor

I loved ths show but just like Seinfeld, I felt the supporting case was better/funnier than the lead(s).