Honored Contributor

Re: Mike Richards AND Mayim Bialik new Jeopardy hosts

[ Edited ]

This thread has become ridiculous... For Pete's sake, all this angst about a freaking game show host...

They're both reasonable selections for what they've been chosen to do...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@faeriemoon wrote:

Thinking that now that Mayim has an official gig it may come with some wardrobe and styling inspiration (personal stylist) to guide her into a more polished look.  As a guest host she was probably left to her own devices.  Although I never thought she looked bad, I understand the comments about her appearance on the show.

@faeriemoon 

Good point ...  Both Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune were created and still produced by Merv Griffin Productions.  In all the years Wheel has been airing, both Pat Sajak and Vanna White have been provided with wardrobe.  I saw some tidbit a while back that in all the years Wheel has been airing, Vanna has never worn the same outfit twice!   Obviously the production company has the wardrobe situation handled.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain wrote:

@NigelSparkles 

You seem to only see what supports your bias that favors women.

Aaron Rogers' appearance received lots of notice, positive and deserved. Buzzy's glasses were faulted by some. Fabor's hair got negative comments. There's more.

I find it shameful to support a woman for no other reason than she's a woman and I happen to be one too.

@occasionalrain   @NigelSparkles 

Good point.  I recall that all the guest hosts received criticism, and don't think any of the hosts were singled out for anything that wasn't a valid point.     

Respected Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@kittykatkay wrote:

Great news!!!  My top two favorites were Mike Richards and Ken Jennings and I'm glad to see they selected Mike and Mayim.

I like Mayim also and it is sad to read about how people feel about the way she dresses.  I think this is unfortunate.  She is  bright and seems to be a caring lady and from what I"ve read about her...a wonderful mother. 

I think she did an excellent job while hosting.  I would hate to feel that people are judged by what they wear rather than how they act.  I would rather be around someone wearing rags but treated me and others kindly than someone wearing designer clothes and treating me and others like we were beneath them and nasty. Unbelievable.

I don't care what she or others wear.....I'm watching because I love to watch Jeopardy.  

@kittykatkay 

What has THAT got to do with this discussion?  None of the Jeopardy guest hosts were wearing "rags", nor were any of their parenting skills called into question.

@Tinkrbl44 ....well, let me spell it out for you.  The thread was entitled, "Mike Richards AND Mayim Blalik new Jeopardy Hosts".  Yet YOU were the first poster to make a statement about hoping Mayim would have a stylist.  It's post number 13 in case you want to look. 

You are entitled to your opinion as well as the rest of us, but if you had not been the first one to post about her style of clothing, then maybe it would not have gone down that road.  Does that help?

Respected Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

Well at least I can watch when Mike is hosting. I was looking for flair, not frump. She is about as exciting as watching water boil. 

And Alex Trebek was exciting? I don't think that show is supposed to be like The Price is Right. It's a very low key, almost boring format, but it works.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Esteemed Contributor

I really don't care who the host is or isn't.   I barely pay attention to the host anyway so I rarely notice what he/she is wearing.

I don't even think the show needs a (human) host.

Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@Desi  You make many valid points in your post, most especially about needlessly flashing credentials... While I like her and think she's capable, I'd note that whether or not Mayim was chosen for this limited role as a direct result of bad press associated with Richards, one can't help but think this 'split decision' was in some fashion Jeopardy's response to today's inclusivity mandate...

Weird how any time a woman (or minority in general) is selected for an all white male role, her qualifications are questions or it's insinuated it's due to a "inclusivity mandate" or "affirmative action" when no one ever questions the other candidates. 

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

It's high time that attitudes about women in media changes. Criticize on the same level as men, not for superficial nonsense. You sound like you are jealous of other women who have "made it". 

@NigelSparkles  And you sound like you make a whole lot of assumptions that aren't there case. For example, since I can't stand Dr Oz I never watched him host Jeopardy so nope, no comment from me about whatever he said. I watched one show each of Buzzy and Aaron and sorry, missed Buzzy''s brooch so I don't know what I would have said about it had I noticed it.(Are you being homophobic?)   And I have as much education as Mayim does only in a completely different profession and plenty of academic honors so nope, no jealousy there. My Phi Beta Kappa key is in my safety deposit box.

Apparently you are fine criticizing women posters here, making assumptions about people you don't know but we shouldn't criticize Mayim. 🙄 

You do sound kind of jealous, even comparing yourself to her. Now THAT is strange.

Honored Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

@Desi  You make many valid points in your post, most especially about needlessly flashing credentials... While I like her and think she's capable, I'd note that whether or not Mayim was chosen for this limited role as a direct result of bad press associated with Richards, one can't help but think this 'split decision' was in some fashion Jeopardy's response to today's inclusivity mandate...

Weird how any time a woman (or minority in general) is selected for an all white male role, her qualifications are questions or it's insinuated it's due to a "inclusivity mandate" or "affirmative action" when no one ever questions the other candidates. 

That isn't exactly what I said, but the soap box was inevitable. My personal thinking is that the Jeopardy powers that be did not want to tamper with the show's success and hence their choice for a low-key host in the Alex Trebek mold. At the same time, given the undeniable current inclusivity obsession, they also wanted to somehow appear to be expanding their horizons. At no point did I question Mayim's qualifications and, in fact, clearly noted her capability.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Valued Contributor

HIS SALARY WILL BE 18 MILLION   THATS NUTS   NO ONE IS WORTH THAT