Regular Contributor

Re: Mike Richards AND Mayim Bialik new Jeopardy hosts

Some of the comments here strike me as a bit sexist and chauvinistic. Very disappointing considering that the vast majority here are women. 

When you critique the prospective hosts, the comments are about their presenting style, voices, demeanor. When you criticize Mayim Bialik, it's all about what she's wearing and whether she's a "fremp" or not and that she needs a stylist. Nobody mentioned Buzzy. Cohen's choice of wearing a brooch on his suit lapel. 

You have also slammed her mention of her neurobiology degree. She's earned it. None of you had anything to say when Dr. Oz kept saying he is a doctor every time a medical clue showed up. Nor Aaron Rogers comments about sports. And you can be sure that her line on that commercial was written by someone else - she's a paid actress.

It's high time that attitudes about women in media changes. Criticize on the same level as men, not for superficial nonsense. You sound like you are jealous of other women who have "made it". 

Honored Contributor

@NigelSparkles 

You seem to only see what supports your bias that favors women.

Aaron Rogers' appearance received lots of notice, positive and deserved. Buzzy's glasses were faulted by some. Fabor's hair got negative comments. There's more.

I find it shameful to support a woman for no other reason than she's a woman and I happen to be one too.

Esteemed Contributor

As for the show, I am out from here on, not because of their choice but because of the big pretense they pulled off. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NigelSparkles wrote:

Some of the comments here strike me as a bit sexist and chauvinistic. Very disappointing considering that the vast majority here are women. 

When you critique the prospective hosts, the comments are about their presenting style, voices, demeanor. When you criticize Mayim Bialik, it's all about what she's wearing and whether she's a "fremp" or not and that she needs a stylist. Nobody mentioned Buzzy. Cohen's choice of wearing a brooch on his suit lapel. 

You have also slammed her mention of her neurobiology degree. She's earned it. None of you had anything to say when Dr. Oz kept saying he is a doctor every time a medical clue showed up. Nor Aaron Rogers comments about sports. And you can be sure that her line on that commercial was written by someone else - she's a paid actress.

It's high time that attitudes about women in media changes. Criticize on the same level as men, not for superficial nonsense. You sound like you are jealous of other women who have "made it". 

@NigelSparkles  And you sound like you make a whole lot of assumptions that aren't there case. For example, since I can't stand Dr Oz I never watched him host Jeopardy so nope, no comment from me about whatever he said. I watched one show each of Buzzy and Aaron and sorry, missed Buzzy''s brooch so I don't know what I would have said about it had I noticed it.(Are you being homophobic?)   And I have as much education as Mayim does only in a completely different profession and plenty of academic honors so nope, no jealousy there. My Phi Beta Kappa key is in my safety deposit box.

Apparently you are fine criticizing women posters here, making assumptions about people you don't know but we shouldn't criticize Mayim. 🙄 

Honored Contributor

James Holzhauer roasted the show on its announcement that two people would replace Alex Trebek:

"Also new for next season: contestants can submit two Final Jeopardy responses in case the first one causes public backlash."

Regular Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@NigelSparkles wrote:

@NigelSparkles  And you sound like you make a whole lot of assumptions that aren't there case. For example, since I can't stand Dr Oz I never watched him host Jeopardy so nope, no comment from me about whatever he said. I watched one show each of Buzzy and Aaron and sorry, missed Buzzy''s brooch so I don't know what I would have said about it had I noticed it.(Are you being homophobic?)   And I have as much education as Mayim does only in a completely different profession and plenty of academic honors so nope, no jealousy there. My Phi Beta Kappa key is in my safety deposit box.

Apparently you are fine criticizing women posters here, making assumptions about people you don't know but we shouldn't criticize Mayim. 🙄 

@Pearlee Now you are making asumptions. First of all, I'm entitled to state my opinions and observations, just as you oare. Nobody accused you of being uneducated, I don't care if you are educated or not. By touting your Phi Beta Kappa key you are guilty of doing the same thing Mayim has been accused of. Again, I couldn't not possibly care less. My opinion must have hit a nerve.

To accuse me of being homophobic is beyond ridiculous. My comment was about a brooch that Buzzy wore on his lapel. Now brooches are a statement of identiy? He wore it and it looked odd and out of place because it's not a normal accessory. Your statemnt proves my point. Women are not treated the same as men, and other women are just as guilty of doing that as men are. 

Trusted Contributor

@eve45 wrote:

Mayim Bialik has an impressive resume that makes her perfect to host Jeopardy. She is the writer and director of the upcoming movie "As Sick As They Made Us" starring Candice Bergen and Dustin Hoffman. She was the star of the network TV show Blossom when she was a teenager. She has written 3 books, she has a PhD in neuroscience, she is a divorced mother raising two boys, she was a main actor in The Big Bang Theory, she is the star of the network sitcom Call Me Kat. She is the first woman to permanently host Jeopardy and yet instead of celebrating this accomplished and beautiful woman we spend time complaining about her appearance. Her appearance doesn't seem to have held her back so far.

Yes! As Amy Farrah Fowler on the Big Bang Theory (BBT)....a wonderful character that she perfected, she is super popular with the BBT viewers. Due to that role alone she brings a demographic to Jeopardy that the producers are probably looking for and sponsors, too. BBT reruns are all over the place.

Honored Contributor

@NigelSparkles wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

@NigelSparkles wrote:

@Pearlee Now you are making asumptions. First of all, I'm entitled to state my opinions and observations, just as you oare. Nobody accused you of being uneducated, I don't care if you are educated or not. By touting your Phi Beta Kappa key you are guilty of doing the same thing Mayim has been accused of. Again, I couldn't not possibly care less. My opinion must have hit a nerve.

To accuse me of being homophobic is beyond ridiculous. My comment was about a brooch that Buzzy wore on his lapel. Now brooches are a statement of identiy? He wore it and it looked odd and out of place because it's not a normal accessory. Your statemnt proves my point. Women are not treated the same as men, and other women are just as guilty of doing that as men are. 

@NigelSparkles  I'm not "touting" anything and my statement is not like Mayim's constant bragging about her education. It was a direct response to your accusation of jealousy. You will find few posts of my thousands of them where I've mentioned my education,, and those posts have been in the same context of an "Oh you must be jealous" argument. Nor did I accuse you of being homophobic but raised it with a question mark.

Your statements are not worth any more if my time. @occasionalrain is right; you didn't read our original statements about the hosts when they were hosting. Go ahead and keep criticizing us here but please then stop with the "we shouldn't be criticizing other women" argument because it just doesn't work.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@QVCkitty1 wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

@QVCkitty1 

Is it shallow to prefer looking at flower, or should a bouquet of weeds be just as welcome?

That is a ridiculous comparison, these are people not flowers. This is a quiz show not a beauty pageant, Mayim' intelligence will shine.

@QVCkitty1 

Uh ....  Mayim will not be answering the questions ... the contestants will be doing so.

@Tinkrbl44 , Oh please, tell me what endeavor isn't improved by intelligence ?

" You are entitled to your opinion. But you are not entitled to your own facts."
Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Honored Contributor

Thinking that now that Mayim has an official gig it may come with some wardrobe and styling inspiration (personal stylist) to guide her into a more polished look.  As a guest host she was probably left to her own devices.  Although I never thought she looked bad, I understand the comments about her appearance on the show.