Honored Contributor

@candyagain Thanks for the comments about the snarky Barnabys. ha!

Also, thanks for recommending another series, Jane Tennison. I think I will have plenty to watch during the summer lull of something to watch instead of reruns with all these wonderful suggestions. Smiley LOL

Valued Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@candyagain Thanks for the comments about the snarky Barnabys. ha!

Also, thanks for recommending another series, Jane Tennison. I think I will have plenty to watch during the summer lull of something to watch instead of reruns with all these wonderful suggestions. Smiley LOL

---

Looks like you have had many wonderful recommendations for summer viewing.

I love these British series and have watched so many over the years. These, as well as classic films, are my favorite source of entertainment.

For those who share this "passion" and have already seen many of the ones listed previously, I will make two other recommendations: Inspector George Gently and Judge John Deed. Both of these series star Martin Shaw, but his character is very different from one show to the other.

Honored Contributor

@Highlands72 Thank you for some additional series to consider. Love all the suggestions I am getting. I doubt I will miss the regular programing on TV one bit this summer with all these great ideas I'm writing down. Heart

Honored Contributor

I enjoy Midsomer Murders too.  Unfortunately, my antenna no longer picks up the PBS channel (from a neighboring city) that carries it.  But - good news!  Today, I found that Pluto TV (a free streaming service) recently added a Midsomer Murders channel (#513).  It will air M.M. episodes continuously. 

Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler 

I'm so ticked I could spit fire.  Turned on the TV 40 minutes ago to watch "Midsomer Muders," as I do every Thursday on our PBS channel, but ZAP - gone.  Bronte Sisters on instead.  Really has me more than ticked.  I look forward all week to Thursday night just for this program...

I really need to look into BritBox to see how much it costs and also what's involved in set-up.

Honored Contributor

@sfnative Bummer! If you get a chance, you might contact your local PBS station and see when they WILL put on that episode. Maybe it is delayed a week or maybe they plan to do it over the weekend.

Do you have On Demand or something like that with your TV provider so you can play missed episodes?

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@sfnative Bummer! If you get a chance, you might contact your local PBS station and see when they WILL put on that episode. Maybe it is delayed a week or maybe they plan to do it over the weekend.

Do you have On Demand or something like that with your TV provider so you can play missed episodes?

I don't know about other areas of the country but our PBS stattion does not put anything On Demand. If they did no one would pay to subscribe to their pay service - I think it's called PBS Passport. Most of the shows we like on PBS eventually go to Prime or Netflix but you don't get the current season for quite a while.

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

As I have only watched the first four episodes of Season 1, I was wondering if at sometime there is an explanation of why Barnaby is not always nice to Troy. Is there some back story there that will come out in later episodes? Troy seems to try very hard and does whatever is asked of him. Seems Barnaby is snarky with him. Anyone else feel that way?

@World Traveler   Troy is a bit green;  Barnaby sees potential so he prods him.  you'll see the relationship develop.
Honored Contributor

@ms traditional  Oh, good; thanks! I was really getting ticked off with Barnaby for not having more patience/tact with Troy. Smiley Indifferent

Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@World Traveler 

Thanks for getting back to me.  I think I may have the answer.  Our PBS channel just started a 3 week pledging drive today, so The Bronte Sisters, just this last Thursday, may have been a fill-in - I hope.

Additionally, I've found that if I go to bed extra early, I can catch earlier seasons of Midsomer Murders on Ovation.  They broadcast 2 back-to-back episodes very early on Thursday mornings (very early, because I'm Pacific Time).