Honored Contributor

@songbird Thanks for your comments.

I enjoy cozy mysteries; however, the first two or three of the Midsomer seemed a little more risque than I expected. The first one was about incest and showed the brother and sister going at it in bed, rather than just the suggestion or knowledge that it was going on.

And the second (or was it the third?) episode was a little more open with pictures of one of the characters (older man) with a young student in very compromising positions. Just didn't expect to see such openness on something that didn't show a rating of such a possibility.

Maybe that is the British way. ha!  But I haven't seen that with the Murdoch, Christie, or other British programs I have watched. Don't recall that in Downton Abbey either, but maybe my memory is foggy. LOL!

What you said about genteel, upper class communities, little old ladies knitting, and also gossiping......I think those are fun to watch.

Honored Contributor

Re: Midsomer Murders

[ Edited ]

@World Traveler wrote:

@songbird Thanks for your comments.

I enjoy cozy mysteries; however, the first two or three of the Midsomer seemed a little more risque than I expected. The first one was about incest and showed the brother and sister going at it in bed, rather than just the suggestion or knowledge that it was going on.

And the second (or was it the third?) episode was a little more open with pictures of one of the characters (older man) with a young student in very compromising positions. Just didn't expect to see such openness on something that didn't show a rating of such a possibility.

Maybe that is the British way. ha!  But I haven't seen that with the Murdoch, Christie, or other British programs I have watched. Don't recall that in Downton Abbey either, but maybe my memory is foggy. LOL!

What you said about genteel, upper class communities, little old ladies knitting, and also gossiping......I think those are fun to watch.

That episode is the original pilot.  Came out in 1996.  (That's how many years this show has been going on).  Yes, there are shocking elements, but what makes it shocking is that it takes place in quiet little conservative towns. That's what I meant y that.  Odd killings.  One get killed by a pitchfork, not a gun.  Or a massive wheel of cheese. It gets stranger and stranger as it goes along.  It doens't take place in a sleazy hard boiled detective story.  I have the dvd set of the first 15 years or so.  The next 5 books in a row are based on the novels.  Afterwards they were created for the TV show. But the spirit is the same.  Very strange goings on (incest, poisonings, buried alive (yes that too) killed by a cedar chest, a pile of bricks.  All things going on a small town you would normally drive through.

Respected Contributor
My local PBS has been airing the show for years on Friday nights. They are airing the newer seasons with the new Barnaby. I've season all the seasons in their entirety apart from the latest ones.

Sometimes it's easy to predict the murderer because they're usually the most likable character and one with the least motive. There's even been an episode where I sided with the killer because everyone else was so awful! 😂 I also find it fascinating the majority of the mysteries involve unusual traditions or activities that are a huge part of the town's culture, and how the British class system comes into play.
Regular Contributor

World Traveler   I simply love Midsomer Murders. I keep watching them over and over !  Another series I love Is "Vera" and I know you'll love it too.  A real down to earth middle aged woman with spunk and a lot of smarts. Please give it a try !    Felinemom

@World Traveler wrote:

I just discovered this series and am really enjoying it. I Googled it and found there are around 16-17 seasons. WOW! How did I not know about this until now?

I have Acorn TV and have started with Season 1, watching the first three episodes so far. 

I find the writing to be great. Usually I am pretty good at figuring out who the murderer is in stories, but must admit I have not been very smart in figuring these out so far, nor the reason for the murder taking place.

Very glad to find something that I can watch this summer when a lot of my favorite TV programs are on hiatus. And also glad that the series keeps me involved with so many characters and possible suspects. So many of the characters are busy-bodies and I have to chuckle how they get involved in everyone else's business.

I also like the Murdoch Mysteries on Acorn. Acorn is definitely worth the money for me!

Honored Contributor

@felinemom You're not the only one who has mentioned Vera, so I will certainly take a look at that. Thanks for another vote on watching Vera. Heart

Contributor

I also love Midsomer Murders and have recommended it to friends.  I stumbled upon it about two months ago and it is now my guilty pleasure on Saturday and Sunday afternoons, if I have nothing else going on.  I watch it on Netflix.

Honored Contributor

As I have only watched the first four episodes of Season 1, I was wondering if at sometime there is an explanation of why Barnaby is not always nice to Troy. Is there some back story there that will come out in later episodes? Troy seems to try very hard and does whatever is asked of him. Seems Barnaby is snarky with him. Anyone else feel that way?

Honored Contributor

@felinemom wrote:

World Traveler   I simply love Midsomer Murders. I keep watching them over and over !  Another series I love Is "Vera" and I know you'll love it too.  A real down to earth middle aged woman with spunk and a lot of smarts. Please give it a try !    Felinemom

@World Traveler wrote:

I just discovered this series and am really enjoying it. I Googled it and found there are around 16-17 seasons. WOW! How did I not know about this until now?

I have Acorn TV and have started with Season 1, watching the first three episodes so far. 

I find the writing to be great. Usually I am pretty good at figuring out who the murderer is in stories, but must admit I have not been very smart in figuring these out so far, nor the reason for the murder taking place.

Very glad to find something that I can watch this summer when a lot of my favorite TV programs are on hiatus. And also glad that the series keeps me involved with so many characters and possible suspects. So many of the characters are busy-bodies and I have to chuckle how they get involved in everyone else's business.

I also like the Murdoch Mysteries on Acorn. Acorn is definitely worth the money for me!

If you have Amazon Prime, it carries a lot of the Vera mysteries.  I like it too.  I never heard of it till I saw it out of curiosity 

Trusted Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

As I have only watched the first four episodes of Season 1, I was wondering if at sometime there is an explanation of why Barnaby is not always nice to Troy. Is there some back story there that will come out in later episodes? Troy seems to try very hard and does whatever is asked of him. Seems Barnaby is snarky with him. Anyone else feel that way?

The Inspector Barnabys -- there are two, and they are cousins I believe -- are snarky guys. It must run in the family. Part of the stories. But they are always able to solve the crime. Not afraid to put a potential suspect on the spot.

I've also watched Midsommers Murders from the very first episodes. Instant fan because they were so different at the time. I'm watching the current season now and I still love the show.

If you're up for another British series that's excellent but more realistic, the Prime Suspect series with Helen Mirren as Jane Tennison (written by Lynda LaPlante) is one of the best I've seen....after Agatha C. of course. It was copied here in the US under the same name but nowhere near as good as the original British series. It needs to be watched in order as Helen Mirren is superb in bringing the main character to life!

Honored Contributor

@songbird Oh, thanks! Yes, I do have Amazon Prime, so I will check it out there. I have not seen it pop up when I check out Prime's offerings, but I will be looking for it now. Heart