Honored Contributor

@Highlands72 wrote:

@World Traveler wrote:

@grandma r  I have watched some of the Grantchester episodes, but not all. I could not get into the Blake mysteries for some reason, nor the Endeavor stories. I should probably try to go back and give them another chance.

---

I couldn't get into the Dr. Blake series, either, but I love the Endeavour "trilogy," starting with Morse, then Lewis, and now Endeavour. 

The new season of Endeavour is scheduled to start on PBS in about a month. I am looking forward to it.

@Highlands72 Oh, they are part of a trilogy? Didn't know that. Well, then, I should start with Morse, then Lewis, and finally Endeavour. They are written by the same person then, right?

Valued Contributor

Re: Midsomer Murders

[ Edited ]

@World Traveler wrote:

@Highlands72 wrote:

---

I couldn't get into the Dr. Blake series, either, but I love the Endeavour "trilogy," starting with Morse, then Lewis, and now Endeavour. 

The new season of Endeavour is scheduled to start on PBS in about a month. I am looking forward to it.

@Highlands72 Oh, they are part of a trilogy? Didn't know that. Well, then, I should start with Morse, then Lewis, and finally Endeavour. They are written by the same person then, right?

---

Colin Dexter wrote the Inspector Morse series of books on which all three series are based, but he has passed away. Other writers have continued on with the story.

Lewis is a sequel to Morse, as detective Lewis was Morse's younger partner in the Morse series. It covers his career after the Morse character's career ends. The same actor plays Robert Lewis in both series.

Endeavour is a prequel to Morse. It is about the early career of young Endeavour Morse.

Honored Contributor

@Highlands72  I assume it would be best to start with Endeavour, right? Since it is a prequel. Or is it better to start with the other two?

For instance, we had Sheldon Cooper in the Big Bang Theory, then they did him as a child. It was almost better, I think, to see Sheldon as a grownup, then see where it all started by watching Young Sheldon.

Same with some of the movies where they decide to go back and do a prequel, which explains a lot about the other movies of the characters.

Valued Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@Highlands72  I assume it would be best to start with Endeavour, right? Since it is a prequel. Or is it better to start with the other two?

For instance, we had Sheldon Cooper in the Big Bang Theory, then they did him as a child. It was almost better, I think, to see Sheldon as a grownup, then see where it all started by watching Young Sheldon.

Same with some of the movies where they decide to go back and do a prequel, which explains a lot about the other movies of the characters.

---

I began watching Morse when Endeavour was in its first or second season. It was in watching Endeavour that I first became interested in the characters and discovered the other two series.

Since Endeavour is still in production (I hope for many more seasons), I wanted to go ahead and watch in the order in which they were released. After watching both Morse and Lewis, I started back to re-watch the episodes of Endeavour in order.

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

I just discovered this series and am really enjoying it. I Googled it and found there are around 16-17 seasons. WOW! How did I not know about this until now?

I have Acorn TV and have started with Season 1, watching the first three episodes so far. 

There are actually 20 seasons of Midsomer Murders on Acorn. We have watched it all along for over twenty years on PBS but the PBS stations are kind of hit or miss and don't necessarily show all the episodes so we just watch one per week on Acorn. Don't want to watch them all at once.

Honored Contributor

@froggy You are correct about the 20 seasons. I noticed that on the list I printed out from Wikipedia. Not sure if the 21st season that they are filming now in 2019 shows in the U.S. at the same time as Britain, but probably not. 

For me, not having seen any of them before this weekend, I am going to watch them in order on Acorn. That way I can see how the main characters develop.

You are right about PBS; they are the same way in my area...hit and miss. Sometimes not in order either.

Regular Contributor

I will give everyone a full report on the villages of Midsommer next month when we return from the shoot tour.  We will also check out Morse’s White Horse Pub as it is on the tour too.

Respected Contributor

@Drlinda  i love "Midsomer Murders" !!! a guilty pleasure.  will look forward to your tour recap. have a great trip!

Honored Contributor

The Brits specialized in "Cozy" mysteries.  Vs the hard boiled detective stories in the U.S.  Cozies are scarier, because it takes place in genteel, upper class communities.  Little old ladies knitting and god knows plotting.  Tea and poison go hand in hand.

Midsomer Murders are based on a community of (fictional) small English towns.  There are elements of black comedy and drama.  Black comedy for way people are bumped off.  I used to like with the original stars, but I don't care for the new ones.  It's been on the air almost 20 years. This is the 2nd set of stars on the show. 

Regular Contributor

Thanks, ms.  I’M really getting excited now.  And I get to hang out with some local people who will have some real insight I hope.