Honored Contributor

@cherry You could be right about that....several little towns in the area. I just finished the fourth episode of Season 1, so those so far seemed to center in/around Midsomer.

Honored Contributor

@grandma r  I have watched some of the Grantchester episodes, but not all. I could not get into the Blake mysteries for some reason, nor the Endeavor stories. I should probably try to go back and give them another chance.

Occasional Contributor

another great mystery show om PBS" Vera"..I have yet to figure out who did it..It is British as well...  " vera" I find the best of them all just because never ever can figure out who done it''

Esteemed Contributor

@World Traveler   I think those are series that you need to see from the beginning.  The backstory plays a big role moving forward.

You may also like Father Brown or Miss Fischer's Murder Mysteries.

Valued Contributor

Re: Midsomer Murders

[ Edited ]

Since handguns are illegal in England, I enjoy the creativity of the Midsomer writers. Victims have been poisoned, struck by crossbow arrows, electrocuted in a crop circle, had their wheelchair sent careening into a van by remote control, and drowned in a pot of soup. The variety of “endings” is seemingly endless!

Valued Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@grandma r  I have watched some of the Grantchester episodes, but not all. I could not get into the Blake mysteries for some reason, nor the Endeavor stories. I should probably try to go back and give them another chance.

---

I couldn't get into the Dr. Blake series, either, but I love the Endeavour "trilogy," starting with Morse, then Lewis, and now Endeavour. 

The new season of Endeavour is scheduled to start on PBS in about a month. I am looking forward to it.

Valued Contributor

@SPICY wrote:

another great mystery show om PBS" Vera"..I have yet to figure out who did it..It is British as well...  " vera" I find the best of them all just because never ever can figure out who done it''

---

I love Vera, too.

Another series that I rarely hear mentioned when talking of British detective series is Trial and Retribution. It is an older series (many episodes), and is more of a police drama, similar to Law and Order, as it follows through to the conclusion of the trial.

Some of the episodes are available in their entirety on YouTube.

The stories are based on the Lynda La Plante series of books.

Honored Contributor

For those of you who are interested, here is the link to Wikipedia's 27-page listing of ALL of the episodes over the years and a synopsis of what each episode is about. I printed it out as a handy reference. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Midsomer_Murders_episodes

By the way, it says in this link that in May 2018 it was confirmed that Series (season) 21 would begin filming in 2019, so it appears to still be going strong.

Honored Contributor

@SPICY Have not heard or read anything about Vera. I will check it out.

Honored Contributor

@grandma r Think you are correct about that. I kind of came in the middle of the Grantchester, Morse, etc., so some of the habits or back story is lost on me. I wasn't invested in the characters. Should start from Episode 1 of the first year each of those started. Heart