Respected Contributor

Midnight Lace on TCM June 21

Amazon.com: Midnight Lace [VHS]: Doris Day, Rex Harrison, John Gavin, Myrna  Loy, Roddy McDowall, Herbert Marshall, Natasha Parry, Hermione Baddeley,  John Williams, Richard Ney, Anthony Dawson, Rhys Williams, Russell Metty,  David Miller,

Midnight Lace airing June 21 at 6pm et.

~ Trivia ~

The white gown Doris Day wears is the same dress she wore to the Oscar ceremony for her nomination in Pillow Talk (1959)

In her autobiography, Day says that during the filming of one of the more emotional scenes, she used a "sense memory" of being abused by her first husband Al Jordan while she was pregnant in real life. And it worked too well. "I wasn't acting hysterical," she said, "I *was* hysterical!" Production was temporarily halted while Day recovered.

Midnight Lace (1960) - Photo Gallery - IMDb

Color scene still from MIDNIGHT LACE.

The Ace Black Movie Blog: Movie Review: Midnight Lace (1960)

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Midnight Lace on TCM June 21

@lmt 

Have seen this several times, and always enjoy it.  Rex H. is so evil...it was very creepy!

Doris D. had the most beautiful clothing in her pictures.  They are really timeless.  A stunning figure, too.  She could wear anything.

She is just a joy to watch...smart, funny, beautiful and talented....and she was an animal lover.  Cat LOL

Honored Contributor

Thanks, @lmt --  florid Sixties suspense film with delicious art direction and terrific cast, one that I never tire of.

Respected Contributor

@Witchy Woman   Yes, Doris had the most stunning outfits in her movies. She had the perfect figure. If she wasn't an actress she could've been a model.

HeartHeartHeart for being an animal lover!!!! Just another reason to love her.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell   I love these types of movies, too.

I had to laugh. When I was looking for pictures from the movie, this poster popped up with a warning that the movie wasn't suitable for children.

How times have changed. Children these days see so much worse!

Midnight Lace (Universal International, 1960). Australian One Sheet | Lot  #287 | Heritage Auctions

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@lmt I scroll through my program guide weekly for TCM and set films I want to see on my DVR.  This is already set to record.  I also have All the Kings Men, Best picture award and best actor Broderick Crawford and Mercedes McCambridge as best supporting.  I really enjoy TCM

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Fabulous production values, but, for me, this film always seems to flounder after an hour or so, as Day's hysteria begins to get on my nerves. It seems like TCM programs this one at least once a month, though I know they actually don't.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@lmt   Thank you for the reminder; I have my DVR seet.

@stevieb   Yes, some of the movies like this one show up at least four or so times a year.  I notice the pattern now more since I am retired and also can DVR programs.  They also seem to do blocks of movies with common themes running through them, which I enjoy.

Just guessing but I think this is one that is presented more frequently because it is already so popular with the TCM audience and critics.

aroc3435

Washington, DC

Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

Fabulous production values, but, for me, this film always seems to flounder after an hour or so, as Day's hysteria begins to get on my nerves. It seems like TCM programs this one at least once a month, though I know they actually don't.

Agree that her performance is a bit over the top.  AND the culprit was pretty obvious, at least to me.  Not one of my favorite thriller films.  Give me Hitchcock any day!!!

Esteemed Contributor

@stevieb 

Your comment made me laugh.

I would agree that it drags on.  I find myself screaming, "hang up the phone!"  Cat LOL

However, I just love watching DD in almost anything.  She is so luminous on screen and seems so sincere.

Without question, the movie is "dated" but still watchable if just to see the fashions!