Respected Contributor

Michael Jackson’s nephew to play him in biopic

NEW YORK (AP) — Michael Jackson’s 26-year-old nephew, Jaafar Jackson, will play the King of Pop in the planned biopic “Michael” to be directed by Antoine Fuqua.

Michael Jackson's nephew Jaafar Jackson cast in biopic | EW.com

Lionsgate announced Jackson’s casting Monday for the film being produced by Oscar-winning “Bohemian Rhapsody” producer Graham King.

Jaafar Jackson: Photos Of Michael Jackson's Nephew – Hollywood Life

Jaafar Jackson is the second-youngest son of Jermaine Jackson, Michael’s brother.

Michael Jackson's Nephew Jaafar Jackson Makes Formal Introduction with 'Got  Me Singing' Video - Singersroom.com

He’s put out music of his own; in 2019, he released his debut single, “Got Me Singing.”

“Michael” will be Jackson’s acting debut.

“I met Jaafar over two years ago and was blown away by the way he organically personifies the spirit and personality of Michael,” said producer Graham King in a statement.

“It was something so powerful that even after conducting a worldwide search, it was clear that he is the only person to take on this role.”

Directer Antoine Fuqua added in a statement that Jackson “has a natural ability to emulate Michael and such a great chemistry with the camera.”

Michael Jackson será interpretado por sobrinho, Jaafar Jackson, em  cinebiografia | Cinema | G1

On Twitter, Jackson said he’s “humbled and honored to bring my Uncle Michael’s story to life.”

“Michael” will be an authorized portrait of the pop star, who died in 2009 at the age of 50.

The film, scripted by “Gladiator” and “The Aviator” screenwriter John Logan, is being produced with the cooperation of the singer’s estate.

“Jaafar embodies my son,” Katherine Jackson said in a statement. “It’s so wonderful to see him carry on the Jackson legacy of entertainers and performers.”

“Michael” is to begin shooting this year.

Michael Jackson's nephew Jaafar to play him in biopic

La Toya Jackson and Jaafar Jackson in 2019.

La Toya Jackson and Jaafar in 2019.

Respected Contributor

Re: Michael Jackson’s nephew to play him in biopic

oh, goodie. another movie about the highs and lows, of a talented drug addict.

Esteemed Contributor

Let Michael rest in peace. Enough of these movies. More money now for

the greedy family.

Honored Contributor

Jaafar Jackson certainly has the requisite good looks, and probably charisma.  But it never fails to surprise me that Hollywood celebrates a man with his history with children.

'Acquittal' or not, most people with common sense can't look at the facts and not think that he violated the innocence of young boys.  Vanity Fair investigative journalist Maureen Orth, who followed all the cases for years, has laid out 10 facts, not in dispute, about his history and activities.  Taken together, they are devastating.

Valued Contributor

There are many highly popular, praised and worshipped characters walking around today who have a lifetime of egregious behavior. Liars and thieves and assaulters, adulterers and deviants. They add nothing to society, have no talents, no empathy, no goodwill toward others.

Michael Jackson may well have been what he's accused of and he certainly paid the ultimate price. But he was immensely talented, a showman and left a legacy of great music and performance, along with a suspected trail of tears. I believe the children who say they were harmed by him. Just as I believe Roman Polanski is a rapist. Clint Eastwood is a hounddog. Elvis was playing around with a 16 year old and was a drug addict. Doesn't mean I can't appreciate the talent. At least they had talent.

I can't wait to see this movie.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Michael was so talented and, it seems, troubled but the thing that sets this apart for me and makes a biopic utterly unnecessary and uninteresting is there isn't a whole lot we haven't seen or heard already. Michael grew up with us and before our very eyes and was covered extensively by media of all kinds. I guess I'm just not interested in seeing or hearing more. I don't need a retread of all the rest. When I want to remember Michael, I'll spin Thriller.  

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@Stelladorable wrote:

There are many highly popular, praised and worshipped characters walking around today who have a lifetime of egregious behavior. Liars and thieves and assaulters, adulterers and deviants. They add nothing to society, have no talents, no empathy, no goodwill toward others.

Michael Jackson may well have been what he's accused of and he certainly paid the ultimate price. But he was immensely talented, a showman and left a legacy of great music and performance, along with a suspected trail of tears. I believe the children who say they were harmed by him. Just as I believe Roman Polanski is a rapist. Clint Eastwood is a hounddog. Elvis was playing around with a 16 year old and was a drug addict. Doesn't mean I can't appreciate the talent. At least they had talent.

I can't wait to see this movie.

@Stelladorable Only you choose what you decide to overlook and what you decide to support.  Your position is stated.  

Honored Contributor

Have noticed other accounts that have appeared in the press of late also buttressing the perception that the pedophilia will not be dealt with honestly in the film.  Glorification of someone who abuses children should be a "third rail" for biographers, and for the culture at large, regardless of the talent or "star status" of the subject.

Hollywood showed that they have no scruples regarding child abuse, as evidenced by the attempted whitewashing and rationalizing of the activities of Roman Polanski, and even, to some degree, Gloria Grahame, among others.

Honored Contributor

Who knows, but the more I read about this film, done by some of the same folks that did the Mercury biopic, the more it sound like little more than another pop-rock biopic money grab and an opporunity to bring another Jackson, and an unproven one at that, into the entertainment fold. I sort of wish they'd let this one go.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

Michael was so talented, but he  totally ruined his face, he was a nice looking person ,until he went and had all the  face work he ended up looking like a freak.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.