Esteemed Contributor

Michael Che, SNL writer, comedian, honor grandmother

Love watching Willie Geist Sunday Morning Show at 7:00 AM CST with its human interest stories mixed with 'news light.' This morning it was reported Micheal Che (SNL writer, comedian) paid tribute to his late grandmother, Martha, covid19 death. He's paying one month rent for 160 apartments in his grandmother's public housing building. What an honor for his grandmother.

So many generous stories out there, both well known personalities AND every day people. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Re: Michael Che, SNL writer, comedian, honor grandmother

Michael mentioned her death last week on SNL. 

Respected Contributor

That's a really nice way to honor his grandmother and help out the community, but I'm surprised to hear that she was living in public housing.

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

@CAcableGirl2 wrote:

That's a really nice way to honor his grandmother and help out the community, but I'm surprised to hear that she was living in public housing.

@CAcableGirl2    according to the interview I heard, he grew up in public housing and his grandmother lived there until she moved out in the 90s.  She was not living there at the time of her death.

April is Autism Awareness/Acceptance month.
Esteemed Contributor

Willie Geist is the son of Bill Geist, longtime human interest commentator on CBS Sunday Morning (he is dealing with Parkinson's Disease).

Honored Contributor

I live in NYC, the housing his grandmother lived in is NYCHA New York City Housing Authority, they are public developments. These are not palaces, you hear stories about how bad the living conditions are. It was nice of Michael to pay the rent, but the people who live in these apartments need more help than that.