Honored Contributor

Meryl Streep to replace Carrie fisher in new Star Wars movies?

I just heard that fans are petitioning for Meryl Streep to be Leia in upcoming Star Wars movies.

Anyone want to discuss?

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.
Respected Contributor

Re: Meryl Streep to replace Carrie fisher in new Star Wars movies?

I love Meryl, but not in this role

I would prefer someone we do not know to replace Carrie Fisher

I may not agree with what you say, but I will defend, til death, your right to say it
Trusted Contributor

I don't think Carrie Fisher can be replaced. I think it would be better if they just wrote her off. There is always a way they can justify it by saying she was killed in a battle or some other way that would make sense for the character. Some iconic characters should just not be replaced. I couldn't imagine anyone else playing Leia, not even Meryl Street.

Respected Contributor

NO!  I would rather have them write Carrie Fisher out than replace her with anyone, including Meryl Streep.  RIP, Carrie.  . 

Honored Contributor

That ought to hack off the people who hate MS because of politics.  Smiley Very Happy

She's the platinum standard of actors, but I really don't see her doing these movies.   I could totally be wrong, as I don't know her.  But the fact of the matter is - whatever she does, she does brilliantly.  Smiley Happy

Trusted Contributor

Great, now we have clickbait on the forums as well as social media.

Honored Contributor

I personally can't picture her in that role but I can't picture anyone else either. I think it might be time for the on screen Princess Leia to join Carrie. There is only one to me. She can't be replaced IMO.

Honored Contributor

@DREAMONwrote:

I personally can't picture her in that role but I can't picture anyone else either. I think it might be time for the on screen Princess Leia to join Carrie. There is only one to me. She can't be replaced IMO.

(bolded by me)   A lot of people online are saying this same thing.   This character really was Carrie's so it seems only right to let the character somehow or other die off.    

There can be additional characters and that would seem more the thing to do.

Super Contributor

@chickenbuttwrote:

That ought to hack off the people who hate MS because of politicsSmiley Very Happy

She's the platinum standard of actors, but I really don't see her doing these movies.   I could totally be wrong, as I don't know her.  But the fact of the matter is - whatever she does, she does brilliantly.  Smiley Happy

Good for them. Can't stand her or her politics.

Respected Contributor

Just as certain athletes have their jerseys retired, I feel that Carrie Fisher's role should also come to an end.

Meryl Streep is brilliant, but I don't want her to take Carrie's place.