Respected Contributor

Fresh Air on NPR today rebroadcast Terry Gross' 2021 interview with Mel Brooks. At age 95 he was as sharp and funny as ever. I'm assuming at 96 nothing has changed. A true American treasure. Probably available online.

Esteemed Contributor

You scared me. I thought it might be an obituary. I watched Mel last night in a documentary about the automat. If you are over a certain age and grew up in the NYC or Philadelphia areas, you'd remember these restaurants. Ruth Bader Ginsberg and Colin Powell also appeared. They were New Yorkers, as were Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner. If you can find it on TCM it's a trip to nostalgia land.

Honored Contributor

@Vivian I also watched the documentary about the Automat. I thought it was so interesting and Mel Brooks played quite a part in the documentary. Especially for him to write and perform a song about the Automat.

I really enjoyed the documentary.  

Honored Contributor

I recorded that documentary on the Automat.  My father loved it and we ate there a few times.  Used to put quarters and nickels in!!!  Now it would need a credit card slot to pay for the items!!!

Looking forward to watching it tonight.

Honored Contributor

He's an icon....his films are timeless.  Love to hear he is sharp and funny as ever.

Honored Contributor

Always liked him!

Esteemed Contributor

@drizzellla 

Sorry, to go off topic!

I happened to catch that on TCM the other night and thoroughly enjoyed it.

I'm so sorry the Automats were before my time.  However, big cafeterias were still around when I started working in St. Louis.

We would often go to Pope's cafeteria for lunch right in the heart of the City.  It was glorious and good food.  

When I moved to Maryland and worked in Washington, DC, there were several big cafeterias downtown (the names escape me now) that were regular stops.  Again, great food and atmosphere....

I managed to catch the tail end of "Hot Shops" in Maryland, but they were on the way out when I started going.

Everyone in the area still talks about the wonders of their comfort food and desserts.

Such wonderful nostalgia!

Honored Contributor

@drizzellla : What song was that? Hope you are not referring to:"Lets Have Another Cup of Coffee". That is an old timey song.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Trusted Contributor

@Vivian wrote:

You scared me. I thought it might be an obituary. I watched Mel last night in a documentary about the automat. If you are over a certain age and grew up in the NYC or Philadelphia areas, you'd remember these restaurants. Ruth Bader Ginsberg and Colin Powell also appeared. They were New Yorkers, as were Mel Brooks and Carl Reiner. If you can find it on TCM it's a trip to nostalgia land.

Loved the Automat documentary!  I was treated to pie at the midtown H&H after trips to the museums or Central Park. It was magical for a child.  

I suggested Mel's autobiography, All About Me, to my book club and we enjoyed it.  He manages to find something to smile about in just about any situation.  His positive and humorous attitude seems to be the driving force behind his success.

Honored Contributor

PickyPicky3, I adore Mel Brooks.  What a deliciously "insane" comedy genius he is.

Flipping the channels the other night, I happened upon Automat.  When I was 10, my Girl Scout group took a field trip to New York, and among my most prominent memories of the trip was eating at a Horn & Hardart Automat.  (The others were our visits to the United Nations and Chinatown.)

I remember being utterly fascinated when receiving food through the little passage door -- just as I was fascinated by the documentary based on its history.

Did you know that those in New York referred to the establishment as "the Automat" while those in Philadelphia (where it expanded) called it "Horn & Hardart"?  I love interesting tidbits like that.

As I recall, Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Colin Powell and Mel Brooks loved the creamed spinach at the Automat.  Colin Powell also loved the mac 'n' cheese.  RBG loved the succotash.  All agreed that the Automat offered good-quality food at a reasonable price.

Very nice documentary.