Honored Contributor

Mel Blanc on Jack Benny Show

I happened to catch a portion of the Jack Benny Show this morning. Mel Blanc was his guest. He played Jack Benny's violin teacher.

I got to thinking Mel Blanc was one busy fellow and read more about him.  He created and performed 400 distinct character voices. He was in a near fatal car accident in 1961, it was so bad he was in a coma for awhile. The Flinstone's were in production. So he performed the voices from his hospital and home bed. 

I also read that shortly before his death the Warner Bros. Company asked him what he would like for his life's body of work with the company. He asked for--and received--a Ford Edsel.

So I looked up his work history and what a list.

Actor - 1,217 credits

Soundtrack - 51 credits

Music Department - 1 credit

Special Thanks - 8 credits

Self - 46 credits

Archive footage - 130 credits

So I changed the channel to ME TV to catch a few of his cartoons.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Mel Blanc on Jack Benny Show

He was a great man!  The voices used now that used to be his are just not the same.

Respected Contributor

@drizzellla  He was one of the best, if not THE best, in his profession. 

"That's all folks".  💭🐖📺💜

I would give everything I own just to have you back again.......David Gates of Bread
Honored Contributor

@SloopJohnB wrote:

@drizzellla  He was one of the best, if not THE best, in his profession. 

"That's all folks".  💭🐖📺💜

Yes he was.  He was quite a celeberity back in the day.  Tv has changed so much.  Variety shows were the best.  Dean Martins show was one of my favorites.  You could always see your favorites on different variety shows.  Flip Wilsons show was hysterical.