Esteemed Contributor

Re: Meghan McCain Leaving "The View"

I would hope that we are a group of intelligent women who understand that the sparring and bickering is orchestrated for ratings. 

If The View wants to remain a political-centric format I do think it should consider 2 who lean to the left and 2 who lean to the right. Does anyone remember "Crossfire" with Paul Begala, Robert Novak, Tucker Carlson and James Carville. I really liked that show and learned a lot. Of course sad to say men just seem to act more civil when disagreeing.

I do feel Meghan's delivery can be tiresome, but clearly she is the most politically astute. It is Joy and Sunny who say things that are simply not true and when returning from a commercial break "legal" makes them clean up their mess.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Will not watch ...  some old progressive biddies on a mission desperately trying to remain relevant !! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@golding76 wrote:

Meghan stated that she wishes to have her child grow up in the Washington, D.C., area.  She said that they have family and a network of friends now in the D.C. area (where they have been living during the pandemic), and she wishes to have Liberty take her first steps, etc., among these loving, supportive individuals and in this locale.

Of course she mentioned that she had spent much of her early life in D.C., and so she has a high comfort level there (as well as many cherished memories, I would suppose).

I see this change as one for protecting and maintaining a loving and hospitable unit in which her family can thrive. 

I wish her the best.  She is far less diplomatic than her father, but she carries his brand of fire and guts.  In time, she may learn to temper these red-hot attributes in order for more people to listen to her.  Because I have so much respect for her late father and her mother, I am truly rooting for her to smooth down her abrasiveness and become an effective spokeperson for causes close to her heart. 

(For those who "know" me through this forum, you are aware that she and I have different views on many subjects, but I appreciate a rational and intelligent argument from an opposing point of view.   For that reason, I much prefer Ana Navarro and Abby Huntsman to Meghan.)

Unfortunately she lacks her father's sense of humor, @golding76.

Respected Contributor

Her mother has a sparkling personality.  On the other hand, Ms McCain always seems to have a chip on her shoulder.

Trusted Contributor

Why does no one ever call out Joy Behar, one of the most depressing, disparaging women on tv? I'm okay with Whoopi, but Behar is too unpleasant for me to watch.

Esteemed Contributor

@Shawnie wrote:

Joy shoukd leave as well.  What an angry person.  

@Shawnie  surely my sentiments !   I call her Joyless ,  plus she's just a very mean spirited person .  Can't stand her    or for that matter I like no one on that talk show they are all of one mind ,  have no idea why it's called the view kinda stupid I think 😼

Esteemed Contributor

o

@Oznell wrote:

I agree with @Nancy Drew 's shrewd assessment.  From what I remember, the View has virtually always had only one person to represent a "minority" viewpoint--  Elizabeth Hasselback, Meghan McCain, etc.   All the other panelists to some degree or another, have been of more or less of the same general world view.

It sets up the minority panelist to be isolated and unsupported, and I'd feel the same if the positions of majority viewpoint vs. minority viewpoint were reversed.

A show like the View would be much more interesting to people like me if they were somewhat evenly divided--  you could have Joy etc. on one end, and really strong opposing views by people like Mollie Hemingway or Tammy Bruce.  Then it would at least be fair, and much more stimulating.  Those two can also express themselves coherently and with good humored civility, despite the provocation.

However, the show as a whole, to me at least, has demonstrated its not interested in a civil exchange of views, given its established culture of constant interrupting, ad hominems, and shrieking when they encounter someone who thinks differently.   The producers could have ended that if they had wished to.

@Oznell   You always put things so well .    I very much like the idea of Tammy Bruce !  What a great choice that would be for the other side .  Although I doubt that will happen.

Respected Contributor

@Pantsonfire2 wrote:

Will not watch ...  some old progressive biddies on a mission desperately trying to remain relevant !! 

Credibility is lost when you resort to personal name calling. 

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Respected Contributor

If i still watched , i would chose Anna or Jedediah Bila , But if you remember she was let go , to be replaced by Meghan , and she declined to stay longer , since they let her go , Which i don't blame her.

Honored Contributor

@FLgardener wrote:

Why does no one ever call out Joy Behar, one of the most depressing, disparaging women on tv? I'm okay with Whoopi, but Behar is too unpleasant for me to watch.

People go after Joy regularly, @FLgardener.