Honored Contributor

Re: Meghan McCain Leaving "The View"

I agree with @Nancy Drew 's shrewd assessment.  From what I remember, the View has virtually always had only one person to represent a "minority" viewpoint--  Elizabeth Hasselback, Meghan McCain, etc.   All the other panelists to some degree or another, have been of more or less of the same general world view.

It sets up the minority panelist to be isolated and unsupported, and I'd feel the same if the positions of majority viewpoint vs. minority viewpoint were reversed.

A show like the View would be much more interesting to people like me if they were somewhat evenly divided--  you could have Joy etc. on one end, and really strong opposing views by people like Mollie Hemingway or Tammy Bruce.  Then it would at least be fair, and much more stimulating.  Those two can also express themselves coherently and with good humored civility, despite the provocation.

However, the show as a whole, to me at least, has demonstrated its not interested in a civil exchange of views, given its established culture of constant interrupting, ad hominems, and shrieking when they encounter someone who thinks differently.   The producers could have ended that if they had wished to.

Respected Contributor

@Oznell wrote:

I agree with @Nancy Drew 's shrewd assessment.  From what I remember, the View has virtually always had only one person to represent a "minority" viewpoint--  Elizabeth Hasselback, Meghan McCain, etc.   All the other panelists to some degree or another, have been of more or less of the same general world view.

It sets up the minority panelist to be isolated and unsupported, and I'd feel the same if the positions of majority viewpoint vs. minority viewpoint were reversed.

A show like the View would be much more interesting to people like me if they were somewhat evenly divided--  you could have Joy etc. on one end, and really strong opposing views by people like Mollie Hemingway or Tammy Bruce.  Then it would at least be fair, and much more stimulating.  Those two can also express themselves coherently and with good humored civility, despite the provocation.

However, the show as a whole, to me at least, has demonstrated its not interested in a civil exchange of views, given its established culture of constant interrupting, ad hominems, and shrieking when they encounter someone who thinks differently.   The producers could have ended that if they had wished to.

I think the  new head of the ABC news made it clear with the meeting that Meghan walked out of. she didn't want these personal attacks occuring on the show. 

Trusted Contributor

Wow I'm a bit surprised the news really is true. I wrote earlier that I was questioning it since there was always rumors of her leaving the show earlier other seasons but never did. Thank you for the heads up!

I watched the show today. They opened with Meghan making her announcement. It was very thoughtful and nice way of saying she's done at the end of the month. It does sound like staying in DC by family was a big key for her leaving. She made me laugh saying even her dad had warned the show that she was a pain in the arse. (but the other word can't type here). 

There were defnitely more cringe moments this past year where it really did seem like it was bigger arguments. My theory is because everyone was at their homes, it lacked the usual chatting having fun in dressing rooms etc after and before the shows so tension was higher. Meghan could comment a lot on politics but often didn't have much to say on other topics. She would even say she didn't want to talk about stuff so it was weird how the others would all comment then she would just pass. Hopefully who ever they get as replacement will be more well rounded willing to discuss anything since that's what they are paid to do - voice their views! 

Sara Haines has been a really good addition with her more mellow, moderate views. I hope she stays around for another season. She often would agree with Meghan and add more supporting information to explain. They do need a strong conservative on the panel so good luck to anyone who takes it. Meghan held that seat for more years than others! 

Honored Contributor

I don't watch it everyday but it is the only daytime TV show I do watch.  I turned it on this as everyone was congratulating her.  I missed her announcement.  What reason did she give for leaving?

I hope whoever they replace her with can give a more intelligent debate of the conservative views.  

Honored Contributor

I watched (still watching episode) and don't recall a 'why'.   The entire first segment was for this announcement and everybody commented.  

Ana Navarro would be a great choice but don't know if she is interested.  I've always liked her.

Meghan just needs to grow up and stop making every single thing about poor poor widdle me.   That's my beef with her, not so much her views.

Respected Contributor

Anytime 3 or more "power" women get together, the TV channel is flipped.

Esteemed Contributor

Well, I tried to comment earlier, but I see it was deleted. Didn't see what happened after I posted. I simple mentioned that The View had a perfectly good, informed conservative, and they didn't renew her contract. Not going to mention the name, but she has gone on to much more respectable things than The View. I think the producers like the commotion.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Meghan stated that she wishes to have her child grow up in the Washington, D.C., area.  She said that they have family and a network of friends now in the D.C. area (where they have been living during the pandemic), and she wishes to have Liberty take her first steps, etc., among these loving, supportive individuals and in this locale.

Of course she mentioned that she had spent much of her early life in D.C., and so she has a high comfort level there (as well as many cherished memories, I would suppose).

I see this change as one for protecting and maintaining a loving and hospitable unit in which her family can thrive. 

I wish her the best.  She is far less diplomatic than her father, but she carries his brand of fire and guts.  In time, she may learn to temper these red-hot attributes in order for more people to listen to her.  Because I have so much respect for her late father and her mother, I am truly rooting for her to smooth down her abrasiveness and become an effective spokeperson for causes close to her heart. 

(For those who "know" me through this forum, you are aware that she and I have different views on many subjects, but I appreciate a rational and intelligent argument from an opposing point of view.   For that reason, I much prefer Ana Navarro and Abby Huntsman to Meghan.)

Honored Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

Well, I tried to comment earlier, but I see it was deleted. Didn't see what happened after I posted. I simple mentioned that The View had a perfectly good, informed conservative, and they didn't renew her contract. Not going to mention the name, but she has gone on to much more respectable things than The View. I think the producers like the commotion.

There are two threads for this subject.  Maybe you replyed in the other one (?). 

Maybe one of the OPs could ask the mods to combine the threads.  Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@deeva wrote:

Not surprised if this is true. She is very immature.

And it doesn't help that Joy seems to take pleasure in annoying her.

Joy states her opinion. She always has. What MM took offense to is that JB didn't fall in line and agree with her. Same thing happened with Sunny and finally Whoopie. Can't help but wonder if that was the last straw.