Honored Contributor

Re: Meghan Markle With Her Natural Curls

@Carmie wrote:

@bootsanne wrote:

@stevieb wrote:

It's an each to their own kind of world, but I've seen the word 'beautiful' associated with this woman quite a bit in recent weeks... I'm sorry, I'm just not seeing it... Somewhat attractive is about as far as I'm willing to go...

I agree with you 100%....

Why do many women always judge other women on their looks and beauty and or lack of it?

We tend to get angry when men judge us this way, but seem to be pretty comfortable discussing other women’s looks ourselves.

i know one thing, as women we need to evolve into better beings.

So who's judging? 

It's a discussion... and I sincerely don't believe the future of womanhood rests on whether or not women's looks continue to be fodder for discussion...

As far as it goes, indicating someone to be 'attractive' rather than 'beautiful' is hardly harsh...

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@OfCourse wrote:

@Tinkrbl44  I like Meghan and have been following her for about a year.  The British commenters at the Daily Mail also complain about her being an American.  Have you seen the reports of their first public appearance together yesterday?  The Daily Mail has a big story about it.  Her clothing has become much more conservative since the engagement, which is to be expected.  I didn't like her engagement ring.  I like vintage styles with a lot of metal work.  It's super expensive and rare (with two of Diana's diamonds), but it's plain.

Careful, I'm not sure we're supposed to express opinions on the ring, either...

Smiley Wink

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

We discuss men's appearance, who is hot and who is not. We have a thread about this year's sexiest man whom I find unattractive. We have discussed beards, pro and con. Apparently, some feel men are fair game but women are special, all beauties no matter what.

Honored Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Wonder if she will ever show her natural crowning glory after  becoming a Royal? Her natural hair is beautiful!

@SeaMaiden

Ugh ....  not attractive.   There really aren't a lot of grown women who actually look good with little girl curls.   Too Shirley Temple-ish, IMO. 

I'm speculating that Meghan will have to dress in a more sophisticated way for most public appearances .....   the curls will have to be left to Charlotte for the time being.   Until Charlotte outgrows them, too.

Why do women of color  and women of other ethnicity’s have to straighten their hair to look  grown up and sophisticated?  They can and do embrace their natural hair as they should.

No one should feel that they have to have the traditional smooth causation hair to look beautiful.  We are all individuals and we are all beautiful the way we naturally are.  God doesn’t make mistakes.

How in the world can you outgrow your natural hair, either curly or straight? That is ridiculous.

@Carmie

Well, if that's the party line you want to adhere to, you go for it.   If you think "natural" is the only acceptable way to wear one's hair, you are also being a tad judgmental.   IMO, "natural" isn't always the best way to go ....   as many gray haired women will attest to.   

Around the world, women of ALL ethnicities tend to modify their hair, as they see fit.   Some have their hair colored .... or permed ... or straightened .....  or highlighted  .....  or whatever ....   it's always been that way.    This is nothing new.   

MY point was that no matter how you present yourself, it makes a statement about you, and who you are.   A grown woman who is frequently photographed in more formal settings probably isn't likely to wear her hair in pigtails ...  she'll opt for a more sophisticated coif.   That's what I meant by "outgrowing" a style.   What looks good on little Princess Charlotte today certainly won't be right for her 20 years from now. 

I think every woman in the royal family probably gives serious thought to what styles are most flattering, as well as what they like.   If Meghan finds that her straightened hair is much easier to work with on a daily basis, she's doing what's right for her, and her ethnicity is really a non-issue here.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Tinkrbl44  True, but the decision is hers alone.  

There are are many articles about African American woman and girls who are made to feel,that somehow they are not good enough or pretty enough because they have ethnic hair.  Within their own culture it is considered better to have light skin as opposed to dark skin.

It is a crying  shame that these beautiful women of color should feel this way about their natural self.  There is an important movement to insure them that they are indeed beautiful and they they do not have to look more Caucasian to be considered beautiful.

I see more and more women with ethnic hair wearing it natural and they ARE beautiful. And yes, it does make a statement about them.  It says they are happy in their own skin and strong individuals and they don’t buy into what some people say they must look like to be accepted or beautiful.

It’s a personal choice and every women should decide for herself. It is 100% wrong to suggest that curly natural ethnic hair is unattractive, It is ridiculous to even say they outgrow their natural hair and need to change.

Your comments though not meant to be, seem kinda hurtful to many women who choose not to straighten their hair.

You might want to look up Queen Charlotte, she had curly ethnic hair and she wore it well.

Respected Contributor

@Carmie wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Wonder if she will ever show her natural crowning glory after  becoming a Royal? Her natural hair is beautiful!

@SeaMaiden

Ugh ....  not attractive.   There really aren't a lot of grown women who actually look good with little girl curls.   Too Shirley Temple-ish, IMO. 

I'm speculating that Meghan will have to dress in a more sophisticated way for most public appearances .....   the curls will have to be left to Charlotte for the time being.   Until Charlotte outgrows them, too.

Why do women of color  and women of other ethnicity’s have to straighten their hair to look  grown up and sophisticated?  They can and do embrace their natural hair as they should.

No one should feel that they have to have the traditional smooth causation hair to look beautiful.  We are all individuals and we are all beautiful the way we naturally are.  God doesn’t make mistakes.

How in the world can you outgrow your natural hair, either curly or straight? That is ridiculous.

I am Caucasian and I have curly hair. I like it and would never think I had to straighten it to look "grown up". It's uniquely me and it is flattering.  

It's all matter of opinion as to what one finds attractive, but to say curly hair is unattractive on a public board is quite Insensitive IMO