Respected Contributor

My local PBS station has started showing an Australian TV series, "McLeod's Daughters".  It's about 20 years old & ran from 8-9 seasons in Australia & was quite popular over there.  I'm not sure if I'll stick with it, if they show the whole series.  It's quite female-centric & set on a cattle/sheep ranch in South Australia. The scenery is wonderful. 2 half-sisters inherit the ranch after their father's death & decide to run it together.  Has anyone seen this show & was it already shown on PBS or some other US channel & I missed it?

Honored Contributor

Re: McLeod's Daughters On PBS

@aubnwa01 wrote:

My local PBS station has started showing an Australian TV series, "McLeod's Daughters".  It's about 20 years old & ran from 8-9 seasons in Australia & was quite popular over there.  I'm not sure if I'll stick with it, if they show the whole series.  It's quite female-centric & set on a cattle/sheep ranch in South Australia. The scenery is wonderful. 2 half-sisters inherit the ranch after their father's death & decide to run it together.  Has anyone seen this show & was it already shown on PBS or some other US channel & I missed it?

the first ep was OK,  I didn't care for the use of whiney songs, but I am DVRing it to skip .  I think it might be good

I think it might have been on some other channels and Prime ?

right now we are immersed in the last season of Place to Call Home will be sad when it ends, 

Trusted Contributor

We started watching it a little while ago. We're on season 3. We watch other stuff too. At this rate we have a long way to go. But we love the show.  We watch it on Acorn

Trusted Contributor

I watched the entire series about 10 years ago, I rented the discs from Netflix.

I really enjoyed it, and I was actually thinking I might want to re-watch.  It was very enjoyable.

Respected Contributor

We're on season 2 now. It's a little chick-flicky for my taste but it's an easy way to wind down watching  the TV at night. We watch about 2 episodes per week.

Trusted Contributor

I watched the first few seasons years ago. I think it was shown on the Soap Net channel.

I enjoyed it at the time. I believe Netflix has it now also. I watched the first episode again recently, there was an animal hit by a vehicle and I thought, Oh I'm not in the mood for the drama right now. I may try again later in a different frame of mind. 

Respected Contributor

@jackthebear  I think those whiney songs are what bugs me the most, too!  I think it would be a lot better without that music!

Esteemed Contributor

I watched the all the seasons on Acorn last year and I loved it! Sometimes a bit 'soap opery', but I loved the scenery and the actors!  Liked that the seasons followed the ongoing histories of the famlies!

Respected Contributor

I am watching it and I like it.  It's a breath of fresh air even though it says it was originally aired in 2005?  I will continue to watch along with other programs on PBS.  

Honored Contributor

I gave an episode about half hour and moved on. Didn't do anything for me. PBS has essentially been a vast wasteland for me now for quite some months. My region has a number of PBS stations, all with programming that's been mostly disappointing. I'd also note, it seems they run an increasing number of pledge drives but rarely seem to offer much in the way of newer series of old favorites, relying on their stable of reruns and, increasingly, on programs with subtitles. In the latter instances, frankly, I'd prefer to read a book than to 'read' TV.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...