Honored Contributor

@Citrine1 wrote:

I, too, grew up with her and am also the same age (well, I'll be 61 in November).  However, I think she looks awful and I'm not impressed that she managed to give up drugs.  Lots of people get over their addictions.  Not to mention that she gave them up at 26.  Move on Maureen.  Been listening to the same old story for years and years now. After 35 years, find something else to talk about.  

My my, aren't you caring and empathetic? Maybe you have never had a friend or family member suffering, but that day may come--just saying.

Esteemed Contributor

I come from a family of addicts and have experienced many addictions of loved ones, as well as my own 35 year addiction to cigarettes @violann.  Fortunately, I was able to quit 12 years ago and, yes, I realize I'm just one puff away from being a smoker again.  I just don't feel the need to talk about it all the time.  In her case, I feel it's the only thing that keeps her relevant.  Just my opinion.  

And with regards to my loved ones who are addicted to alcohol/drugs, Maureen's 35 year old story is not all that helpful.  

Esteemed Contributor

@RetRN wrote:

@Citrine1 wrote:

I, too, grew up with her and am also the same age (well, I'll be 61 in November).  However, I think she looks awful and I'm not impressed that she managed to give up drugs.  Lots of people get over their addictions.  Not to mention that she gave them up at 26.  Move on Maureen.  Been listening to the same old story for years and years now. After 35 years, find something else to talk about.  

My my, aren't you caring and empathetic? Maybe you have never had a friend or family member suffering, but that day may come--just saying.

Caring and empatheic?  Are you kidding?  I didn't say anything that says I don't care about her or have empathy for her situation.  For goodness sakes, it's an ancient story.  She got over drugs 35 years ago.  35 years!!  You don't think it's time for her to move on??