Respected Contributor

Re: Matthew Perry Interview Tonight Oct 28

He said he started taking opioids  - Vicodin- in lieu of alcohol because his coworkers on Friends could smell the alcohol - it wasn't because of any injury.  Plus the alcohol made him gain weight.

He doesn't seem bitter whatsoever and why would he be - unless bitter with himself.

He'd help more people thru speaking engagements.  Like someone else said I don't think potential addicts are reading his book or watching this interview.

Esteemed Contributor

I found it close to painful to watch this inerview.  He looked awful and, at times, slurred his words.  It reminded me of watching David Cassidy in his last interviews and tv appearances.  I'd like to think that Matthew Perry is sober, but find it difficult to believe.  

Occasional Contributor

This tread reminds me of what we are now missing in our society -- empathy.  A society without empathy is broken.  Empathy is the ultimate donation.  It costs us nothing but means everything.  

Super Contributor

I didn't watch the Sawyer interview.  I think some of these interviews will come back to bite him.  It isn't because I don't like Perry but because I just wasn't a avid watcher of the TV show.  I do wish him well but regardless my sympathies go with the people who didn't cause their own medical drug problems.  Writing a book to gather MORE money, publicity by bringing up other well known names who didn't cause him any problems is wrong.  Like a said befor in a comment, hopefully he will donate a lot of money from the proceeds of his "blockbuster" book to drug programs AND physically use his time working with others in related drug programs.  This will truly show how much he has "grown" as a older man.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

Empathy is great.  I just have little sympathy or empathy for drug addicts.  

At least Matthew had the money to support his habit(s.) He didn't have to resort to a life of crime or steal from his family  He did keep working the whole time - I'll give him that.

And yes - I've been thru it - my step son was a heroin addict.  Started out with opiods.  Rehab many times.  He's been sober for about 5 years.  But it's hard to forget some of the things he did.  Stealing from his own young son was the worst - stole and sold his bike, electronic toys, all his Legos, etc.  Even sold the family's refrigerator.  

So I pretty much don't want to hear how UN empathetic or UN sympathetic I am thanks.

Super Contributor

@FranandZoe So sorry to hear about your stepson and the fact that you also went thru so much hard ache due to his drug addiction but so glad to hear that he has been cleaned for the last few years.  Obviously living thru it gives you a little more prospective regarding how sympathetic you are.  My empathy and sympathy are more with the family members who are not drug/alcohol addicted but live/love these people.  

Occasional Contributor

I have empathy for you and your loved ones.  Must be a very difficult situation.  

Honored Contributor

Most of the time addiction comes in people and not in bottles. So I wonder what he's addicted to now?

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

they were high school seniors and in college. She still loves to watch them. I've been to

@beach-mom 

So you wouldn't let your daughter watch Friends, but you secretly did?  Really?

@Tinkrbl44 - Such judgment!

I knew what it was about. DD was too young at the time. I was too busy. I never saw it until we watched the DVD's together, and I still watch it on various channels once in a while. I still haven't seen all of the episodes, especially the later ones.

Honored Contributor

@Wsmom wrote:

@beach-mom , as far as the drug addiction I believe it started with pain killers from an injury.  I haven't watched the interview yet so this is going from memory.  Unfortunately the pain killer addiction is real with many people which is why there has been such a crackdown on doctors being able to prescribe them.  The doctor shopping and going to open houses to get them is also not uncommon from what I've read.  Very sad.  I think pain killers are pills that are very easily addictive if you have an addictive personality and it seems he does.

Him being a raging alcoholic, though, is totally on him and sounds like it started in his youth.

And yeah, unless he got permission from each person to name drop them it is definitely not a good look for him.

@Wsmom - I didn't realize it was pain killers. My own FP doctor years ago, whom I really liked, was involved in a drug scandal. He had back problems and was writing prescriptions for himself. He was caught and of course not allowed to practice. I don't know where he is now. He had been the head of the practice. I still go to that group.