Honored Contributor

Re: Matthew Perry Interview Tonight Oct 28

[ Edited ]

@San Antonio Gal - To write the things he did about Keanu Reeves was pretty judgemental.  Wondering why, when other actors like River Phoenix and Heath Ledger (who were so talented, in his opinion) died young (both from their own drug and alcohol abuse), is Keanu Reeves still alive?  He's mentioned it more than once, so despite his "apology", it wasn't accidental.

That's pretty nasty, IMO.

At least Keanu Reeves has more class than to respond in kind.

Esteemed Contributor

I've always like Matthew Perry but that was awful what he said about Keanu, no doubt about that, and any apology didn't really sound sincere.

VB pretty much confirmed what he said about her in a TikTok or something but unless he got permission to drop the names he did from those people that is pretty crumby and certainly a way to burn bridges with any friends...all for a buck.

I am going to give the show a try.  I don't know how long I'll make it through.  I am not a huge fan of Diane Sawyer so I may not last long.

Respected Contributor

@Wsmom wrote:

I've always like Matthew Perry but that was awful what he said about Keanu, no doubt about that, and any apology didn't really sound sincere.

VB pretty much confirmed what he said about her in a TikTok or something but unless he got permission to drop the names he did from those people that is pretty crumby and certainly a way to burn bridges with any friends...all for a buck.

I am going to give the show a try.  I don't know how long I'll make it through.  I am not a huge fan of Diane Sawyer so I may not last long.

@Wsmom  What did he say about Keanu?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@skyblue - Look at my post #11.  That's a short version.

In other words, why is Keanu Reeves still alive, when the others he mentioned are dead.

His implication is that the talented ones died and Keanu, who he clearly thinks is talentless, lived.

He's now trying to say that he just "chose a name at random".  More than once in his book?  Well, sorry, that just doesn't cut it.  Who chooses a random name to say "why is this person still alive"?

(To answer Matthew Perry's question:  perhaps Keanu is still alive because he didn't choose to destroy his body with drugs and alcohol.)

Honored Contributor

@Venezia wrote:

His remarks about Keanu Reeves put him beyond the pale for me.  I won't be watching.

And his story of an interaction with Valerie Bertinelli doesn't reflect too well on him either.  (That's if it even happened; sounds more like a besotted young man's dream.)

@Venezia - I agree. I have always been a big fan. Fools Rush In is one of my favorite go-to movies. I have it on DVR on the bedroom TV! And Friends - we didn't let DD watch when it was on, but she and her best friend (whose parents wouldn't let her watch either) started giving each other the DVD's for presents when they were high school seniors and in college. She still loves to watch them. I've been to marathons at our local theater with her. So at this point I've seen most of the episodes! LOL! 

"Chandler" was always my favorite character. I loved his sense of humor. After reading about some things coming out in his book, at first I was shocked. Then I started to think he was more like his character than we thought.

He had it all - a good family, a famous father, and a hit show. I don't understand drug addiction, but he has struggled with it for a long time.

I'm guessing now he is looking back and seeing the mess he has been in. He probably realizes how things could have been different for him.

I don't understand why he singled out people, without even talking to them about it. All I can suppose is he is bitter about things. I don't believe he used Keanu Reeves as a "generic" person either. Keanu hasn't had it easy, losing his fiancée and unborn child in a car wreck. But he has handled his life with grace, and is in a happy relationship. He is an actor people admire. Matthew could be a tad jealous for whatever reason. He certainly should not have mentioned Valerie. 

He is bitter and he is sad. I hope he continues to get help, and I hope he finds a clean life will help him be healthier and happier.

At least he has his Friends!  Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

@skyblue wrote:

@Wsmom wrote:

@Wsmom  What did he say about Keanu?

@skyblue , Here is the quote:  

"In one excerpt, Perry reflects on the death of his former costar River Phoenix — who died in 1993 from a drug overdose — by asking why “talented,” “original thinkers” like Phoenix and Heath Ledger are no longer alive, but Reeves is."

Esteemed Contributor

@beach-mom , as far as the drug addiction I believe it started with pain killers from an injury.  I haven't watched the interview yet so this is going from memory.  Unfortunately the pain killer addiction is real with many people which is why there has been such a crackdown on doctors being able to prescribe them.  The doctor shopping and going to open houses to get them is also not uncommon from what I've read.  Very sad.  I think pain killers are pills that are very easily addictive if you have an addictive personality and it seems he does.

Him being a raging alcoholic, though, is totally on him and sounds like it started in his youth.

And yeah, unless he got permission from each person to name drop them it is definitely not a good look for him.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom wrote:

@Venezia wrote:

His remarks about Keanu Reeves put him beyond the pale for me.  I won't be watching.

And his story of an interaction with Valerie Bertinelli doesn't reflect too well on him either.  (That's if it even happened; sounds more like a besotted young man's dream.)

@Venezia - I agree. I have always been a big fan. Fools Rush In is one of my favorite go-to movies. I have it on DVR on the bedroom TV! And Friends - we didn't let DD watch when it was on, but she and her best friend (whose parents wouldn't let her watch either) started giving each other the DVD's for presents when they were high school seniors and in college. She still loves to watch them. I've been to marathons at our local theater with her. So at this point I've seen most of the episodes! LOL! 

"Chandler" was always my favorite character. I loved his sense of humor. After reading about some things coming out in his book, at first I was shocked. Then I started to think he was more like his character than we thought.

@beach-mom 

So you wouldn't let your daughter watch Friends, but you secretly did?  Really?

Honored Contributor

I didn't see this but he recently had a big article in People.  I knew he had had severe issues with alcohol and drugs and was really ill at times from these things.  However, according to how the article reads, I was not aware of how bad it really was and how he had at one point gotten a burst colon and had a colostomy for some time due to his drug issues and nearly died.  Goodness.  I sinerely hope that whatever his issues were or are that he has found resolution to them and for good.  I so enjoyed his character on Friends.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

You Tube had parts of it on.  I like him, he was good in West Wing, and he tried and deserved a second chance.  Look at others who get 2nd chances.  It's no doubt a daily struggle. Hope he'll succeed and have a good rest of his life.

As it's so often said in here, everyone has an opinion.  Also, evidentally anyone can write a book.  PH.  We can choose to read, watch the interview, or move along.