Honored Contributor

Re: Matthew Perry Interview Tonight Oct 28

@beach-mom wrote:

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

they were high school seniors and in college. She still loves to watch them. I've been to

@beach-mom 

So you wouldn't let your daughter watch Friends, but you secretly did?  Really?

@Tinkrbl44 - Such judgment!

I knew what it was about. DD was too young at the time. I was too busy. I never saw it until we watched the DVD's together, and I still watch it on various channels once in a while. I still haven't seen all of the episodes, especially the later ones.

@beach-mom 

Sorry, no, not being judgemental at all, just surprised by your comment  .... It was just an ordinary prime time sitcom .... why did you think a high school student was too young to watch it?

Respected Contributor

He also said that he had a relationship with Julia Roberts and that he broke up with her. He wondered why a girl like her would be interested in him. His next relationship with be with a woman that has her own wealth. He feels that way because of the gold diggers that just wanted to be with him for his money. Friends is one of my all-time favorite tv shows. I still watch reruns. Smiley Happy
Esteemed Contributor

The numbers he throws around make me suspicious. Thousands of AA meetings. Sixty-five rehab stints. Makes me wonder if he truly is sober. I hope he is, but his track record doesn't support it.
My religion is very simple. My religion is kindness ~ Dalai Lama XIV

When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace ~ Jimi Hendrix
Esteemed Contributor

So sad that he was so attractive, talented, and wealthy, and it wasn't enough.

Honored Contributor

@Tinkrbl44 wrote:

@beach-mom 

Sorry, no, not being judgemental at all, just surprised by your comment  .... It was just an ordinary prime time sitcom .... why did you think a high school student was too young to watch it?

Oh, thanks for explaining @Tinkrbl44!  A high school student would have been fine; DD was in elementary school! She had to wait to watch it!  Smiley Wink

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I am glad that Matthew survived. But, I don’t think it would be possible to take 55 Vicodin and a quart of vodka daily and survive. Also, seems having that quantity of pills daily would involve some illegal activity, I assume. 

Valued Contributor

The neurobiology of addiction is complex.  It affects multiple areas of the brain.  One of those areas being the prefrontal cortex where it greatly impacts executive functioning/decision-making.  My heart goes out to those suffering from addiction and those close to them.

Honored Contributor

No one knows the feelings others go through, unless they can walk in their shoes.  

Super Contributor

drug addiction is not a disease. It is self inflicted.

Honored Contributor

I only know him as an actor, I think he was brilliant in Friends.  I didn't watch the interview because I don't give a fig about Mathew Perry, the person.  I do hope he's happy, healthy and free of his demons but I don't need to know the details of his life and how his addictions almost killed him.  It's not a unique story.  He's just fortunate that was wealthy and famous so he never had to deal with poverty, homelessness, lack of health insurance on top of his addictions.  He also received a level of care that the average addiction might not have received.  I've seen promos of the interview which is just to hawk his book.  He seems to tell a lot of personal stories which involves other celebrities and find that off putting even if he got their permission.  Which I assume he did not.  Perhaps there's some resentment, jealousy and anger there.  He put his body through a lot and it shows on his face.  He looks old, beat up, washed up.