Esteemed Contributor

CBS showed previews of both shows. IMHO, Matlock with Kathy Bates looked more like a comedy than a lawyer. I was disappointed in the few clips from the show. Also Elsbeth looked interesting from the clips.  I am awaiting the new shows to see how they shake out.

Super Contributor

Re: Matlock Reboot and Elsbeth

This is just my opinion, but only Andy Griffith could play Matlock. No one else. I just can't see a reboot of that show. 

Respected Contributor

I haven't been much of a fan of reboots. In fact I would bet Erle Stanley Gardner is spinning in his grave over what was done with Perry Mason. 

Kathy Bates had played a lawyer in the past in the show Harry's Law. Matlock was a show in which much of the success was due to the charisma of Andy Griffith. I'll try and watch with an open mind.

Elsbeth was a charming quirky character from The Good Wife and I thought always brought interest to the story. But I wonder, because of her quirkiness, if it may be too much of a good thing and just become too, too much.

Trusted Contributor

More reboots.  It's a shame people nowadays can't come up with original ideas.  Well, I consider myself a Matlock (as well as a Columbo and Murder, She Wrote) aficionado, so I will not be watching any reboots!  lol!  

Honored Contributor

Is Kathy Bates going to be wearing a light grey seersucker suit???

Honored Contributor

Kathy Bates (Matlock)

Carrie Preston & Wendell Pierce (Elsbeth)

They are some of my favorite actors!

I watched both trailers on youtube and feel a bit underwhelmed.  Both of them have that formula comedy writing that apparently Hollywood feels is necessary to keep people interested when they have hundreds/thousands of other choices at any given hour.

No wit & smart humor, just throw in some mildly funny lines and quirky character scenes.  How many senior jokes will sustain Matlock?  How many uber-quirky jokes will carry Elsbeth?

I hope the actual episodes are much better than the trailers.  

Respected Contributor

I remember the Elsbeth character, from The good fight. If the stories are good, she could pull it off. People love Monk, for years, and he was quirky as heck.

Respected Contributor

@reviewer from sc wrote:

This is just my opinion, but only Andy Griffith could play Matlock. No one else. I just can't see a reboot of that show. 

@reviewer from sc   I agree, but Matlock did have a daughter that was a lawyer.  So maybe she will be Matlock in this?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Hate these reboots. I know it is just my honest opinion.