Honored Contributor

Sunday TV  is horrible.   I wish Masterpiece would create a series as wonderful as Downtown. 

I don't like to watch mysteries.

Criminal Minds is too acidic to me.

Trusted Contributor

I agree!  There is nothing to watch tonight.  

My local PBS station had a 50 years of Masterpiece Theater on tonight.  There are what looked like some decent series that never even heard of.  I might look into them on demand.  

Honored Contributor

I have been a Masterpiece Theater watcher since the seventies, I have mentioned this before on the forums.  There have been numerous series which in my opinion were as good as Downtown and I would love if they could bring  some back.  They did remake Poldark and the Forsythe Saga but there are others I would love to see again.

I am enjoying Atlantic Crossing which is presently showing on Masterpiece.  Yes, it has sub titles but it is great TV and I am learning about part of history I wasn't familiar with.  Also before Masterpiece there are four shows about actors and actresses telling about their grandparents lives during WWII, two shows were aired and two more ahead.  I find it interesting and informative.

Masterpiece always comes through for me.

Contributor

I saw that Masterpiece is going to do Magpie Murders...in the works now I think.  I was curious so I bought the book, which I am really enjoying.  Set post WW II of course in a quiet, picturesque village in the English countryside.  Great characters, including a quirky private dectective who appears on the scene to help the police.  I'm sure it won't be the saga like Poldark etc, but it should be good. 

If you haven't watched Hemingway, give it a try.  It is a very interesting look into his life, including his upbringing.   

Honored Contributor

@PhoebeDragon1 wrote:

I saw that Masterpiece is going to do Magpie Murders...in the works now I think.  I was curious so I bought the book, which I am really enjoying.  Set post WW II of course in a quiet, picturesque village in the English countryside.  Great characters, including a quirky private dectective who appears on the scene to help the police.  I'm sure it won't be the saga like Poldark etc, but it should be good. 

I read the book and while I liked it and it kept me going, I found it complicated. I had never read this author. He certainly is different. I think it would make a good series. But I think there's murder in it which @ECBG  doesn't like. Just sayin' Woman Happy

Esteemed Contributor

I tried watching the second episode of Hemingway, but lost interest when they got to the bullfighting. I wonder if it also has to do with the fact that I don't care about his writing. I've tried numerous books by Hemingway, none of them that interesting to me. I think it's his style of writing. Since I find his books underwhelming, maybe I wasn't that interested in his personal life? 

"The more I learn about people, the more I like my dog."

Mark Twain
Regular Contributor

Go to Amazon Prime and watch Doctor Thorne.  Julian Fellows narrates and wrote the tv script. Great series.

Honored Contributor

Re: Masterpiece Wishes

[ Edited ]

Personally, I've found PBS and Masterpiece to be disappointing, overall, for some time. There have been one or two series I found worthwhile, but nothing lately. I tried Atlantic Crossing but I'm not doing subtitles and one of my local PBS stations is increasingly showing 'foreign favorites' with subtitles. My guess is they can obtain these series for less than newer series of popular, tried and true dramas or producing fresh material. I enjoy mysteries as well as other types of drama, so that isn't a limitation for me. I am not remotely interested in the life of Ernest Hemingway but for those who are, have at it. I do agree, Sunday nights are even more of a vast television wasteland than is the rest of the week, and that's truly saying something.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Trusted Contributor

@teganslaw wrote:

I tried watching the second episode of Hemingway, but lost interest when they got to the bullfighting. I wonder if it also has to do with the fact that I don't care about his writing. I've tried numerous books by Hemingway, none of them that interesting to me. I think it's his style of writing. Since I find his books underwhelming, maybe I wasn't that interested in his personal life? 

Agree, great writer, great alcoholic. I tired of the literary "experts" trying to read something exceptional into drunken abusive behavior. The World War I history was interesting.

Regular Contributor

Look at Amazon Prime.  You will love the Doctor Thorne series.