Respected Contributor

Re: *** Masterpiece | PBS: Miss Scarlet/Magpie Murders/Annika ~ Sunday, November 20, 2022 ***

[ Edited ]

@occasionalrain  @maximillian I don't remember the father being discussed before. Do you? We already know Annika is OK hiding things from her daughter, as in her inappropriate relationship with the therapist. Wouldn't Michael have at least wondered about it? The daughter is 16. Do we know what she has been told previously about her father? 

****Could Annika have gotten Michael's sperm from a sperm bank?

Honored Contributor

Re: *** Masterpiece | PBS: Miss Scarlet/Magpie Murders/Annika ~ Sunday, November 20, 2022 ***

Nothing that I heard has been said about what A told her daughter. That will probably be next week's revelation.This is beginning to remind me of The Closer. It's more about Annika then the crime. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@maximillian wrote:

@occasionalrain 

Yes.  It was at the scene you described, at the very end of the episode.  My take on what Annika said is that the man she works with, Michael, is the father.  However, again, my take on it:  Michael does not know he is the father.  Annika's daughter is celebrating her birthday # 16.  So, that would leave me to believe that Annika and Michael were in a relationship about 17 years ago.  Annika and Michael must have gone their separate ways.  Annika evidently never told Michael that he became a father when the baby girl was born.  Fast forward many years; now they work together in Glasgow in the Marine Homicide Unit.  It seems that Annika remained a single mom and raised her daughter.  Michael, from earlier scenes in the episode, has a nice home, a wife and kids (don't know how many).  I think I figured it out.  Does anyone else have a different take on this situation? 

No, I think you are exactly right! You described everything perfectly!

t seemed very obvious Michael has no idea he is Morgan's father.

I was completely caught off guard. What a cliff hangar!

Honored Contributor

Miss Scarlett stepped it up this season and I thought it was better than Season 1. Liked the expanded  roles and cast additions and relish the period detail. Someone mentioned the photography, which I assume is intended to be atmospheric. I sort of like it. Magpie was a sleeper for me. Initially, I sort of tolerated it but grew to like it. I tried Annika twice and, well, just no. I didn't care of it and frankly, don't much care for the lead actress in much of anything she's done. I'd like to see more seasons of the first two, but hope they find something better than the last one going forward.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

I loved this season of Miss Scarlet and the Duke and how it ended.  I was wondering how the Duke would remain in London and not be transferred to Scotland.  That young detective was wonderful how he stood up to his father and gained the respect of the other detectives who stood behind him and the Duke.  Cannot wait until it comes back.