Trusted Contributor

This movie was on yesterday and it had been awhile seen I had seen it so I watched and loved it.

One question though...did the residents of England enjoy it too when it came out or was there anything about it that was offensive to them, since it was made in Hollywood?  

Any1st hand information will be appreciated. 

Esteemed Contributor
I remember reading about their reaction to Disney's interpretation of the book decades ago. I'm sure those interviews are all on Google now.
Valued Contributor

Re: Mary Poppins

[ Edited ]

Should be interesting when the new version of Mary Poppins is released.  The original story portrays Mary as not a very nice nanny.  In fact, if you've seen the stage version, she's not that peppy and nice.  

The movie with Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson, Mr. Banks, was about P.J. Travers (the author of Mary Poppins) and how she was upset with the portrayal of the character.  

Helen852
Esteemed Contributor

@Helen852  Wasn't that a great movie?  I really enjoyed it.

Honored Contributor

I know that no one, on either side of the pond, liked D van D's very poor cockney accent.

Honored Contributor

Sorry I missed it. Especially since, Richard Sherman gave an extensive talk about doing the music. He and his brother were quite a clever pair.

Honored Contributor

@Helen852 wrote:

Should be interesting when the new version of Mary Poppins is released.  The original story portrays Mary as not a very nice nanny.  In fact, if you've seen the stage version, she's not that peppy and nice.  

The movie with Tom Hanks and Emma Thompson, Mr. Banks, was about P.J. Travers (the author of Mary Poppins) and how she was upset with the portrayal of the character.  

@Helen852,Very interesting.  Thanks.