Honored Contributor

Mary Duggar, Grandmother on 'Counting On,' Dies at 73

[ Edited ]

Did not see this posted. Sorry if a repeat

The family recently took to their shared Facebook page to announce the tragic news that Mary Duggar, the mom to Jim Bob Duggar, died on Sunday.

"We are so sad to share that Grandma Duggar (Mary) passed away Sunday afternoon, June 9th, 2019," the family wrote. "Mary Lester Duggar grew up in Farmington, Arkansas and was married almost 50 years to J.L. (Jimmy Lee) Duggar who preceded her in death."

"Mary found great joy in sharing her love for Jesus and her own story of how at age 15 she asked Christ to forgive her for her sins," the post continued. "It was at that time she committed the rest of her life to live for Him, a commitment she kept with devotion. She loved to share with others how they too could be forgiven of their sins, live a fulfilling life as a Christian, and one day spend eternity in heaven."

Mary -- who is survived by son Jim Bob, her daughter, Deanna, 21 grandchildren and 13 great-grandchildren -- was a real estate broker who often appeared on 19 Kids & Counting and Counting On.

"She is greatly loved and will be missed so very much! She lived a tremendous life as a follower of Christ, a wife, a devoted mother, a loving mother-in-law, and a much-loved grandmother," the post read. "Proverbs 31:10-31 describes the virtuous woman, indeed she personified these beautiful verses with her life. We deeply appreciate your prayers for our family and all who loved Mary during this time."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/tv/news/mary-duggar-grandmother-on-counting-on-dies-at-73/ar-AACF8OB

Honored Contributor

Re: Mary Duggar, Grandmother on 'Counting On,' Dies at 73

@SeaMaiden  I saw that she died on another website. I do remember her from the show. I didn't watch it all the time but from what I saw she seemed like a sweet lady. She never said much.

Honored Contributor

@colliemom4   Yes, remember seeing her on a few episodes.  

Respected Contributor

73 is too young.  

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

Jim Bob Duggars Mom moved in with them and work her self crazy helping with the house and especially the laundry. And she look thin and always tired.Especially after losing her husband. She was a dear sweet women.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I remember watching the original 19 kids & counting show & seeing her doing the family's laundry. I can't imagine the huge job that was as when I had just one kid at home  it seemed my laundry was endless!

Esteemed Contributor

Yes, 73 is too young. Mary Duggar died two weeks after her "78" birthday, on which her latest great grand child was born.

Honored Contributor

@sommertime wrote:

Yes, 73 is too young. Mary Duggar died two weeks after her "78" birthday, on which her latest great grand child was born.

@sommertime  It depends on which source it was read from. I saw both ages reported.

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ The info I read was directly from the Duggar family website. So I figured they would know her age. Still they did not mention the cause of her sudden death. The last pic posted of her, she looked very tired as she held the new baby born on her birthday. I hope if one of the girls now PG will name the baby Mary, if it's a girl.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden  I just read that she drowned. She slipped near her swimming pool and I don't know if she couldn't swim due to injuries or what, but she drowned.