Honored Contributor

Re: Martha Stewart - New TV Series

[ Edited ]

I'm not sure this is Martha's show.

It reads to me like this season it's Martha as the star but next season it can be Bobby Flay at his house in the Hamptons and they camp on the beach (Bobby doesn't bake so that's not the best example, but you know what i mean).

It's all so very odd.

It's trying to be The Great British Baking Show, but more difficult without an actualy tent to cook in.

I'm over the bee/hornet/wasp situation.  I can't watch that and really just fast forwarded through the baking part.

The previews for next week show rain, so are they under a tarp?

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

What I don't understand about the show is that they are out in a meadow area, not far from Martha's farm, and if they are given the task to make something, how does the buyer of the food or the contestant themselves know what to have on hand for ingredients? 

I see ovens, stoves, refrigerators, but there must be more time between getting the task and then actually putting it together than what it looks like. It's not like one of the cooking shows I watched years ago (can't remember the name) and all the ingredients they were allowed to use were the same and waiting for them to use; it was how they used them that made each finished product different.

This show allows them to do whatever they want under a certain theme, and they are given a time limit, like one hour, to come up with something special. No time to shop. Hmmmm.

I suspect a level of scripting and editing is involved in this show.

Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter Definitely editing. Someone has to run to the store to purchase the products, right? Smiley Happy  Which means they have time to decide what/how to make for the category given.

There was a program a long time ago on TV, something about a competition between two people (I think), and not only the category but the food available was already placed on the stage. Think they had an hour to make whatever they wanted to make with the food available, staying in the category. For instance, crab. 

I normally don't watch food competitions, but that one was so fast and furious. I still can picture the set where they worked, but the title of the show escapes me. Iron Chef? Hmmm.

Respected Contributor

I was looking forward to watching this but it just isn’t as enjoyable as I hoped.  I agree with poster who said trying to be like Great British Baking Show but it isn’t.

I am glad that the contestants who win get to work with Martha as they seem to love this.  For me, something missing but do not know what!

Contributor

"For me, something missing but do not know what!"

Perhaps better recipes?

Honored Contributor

Watched this week's show and enjoyed it. Didn't like the bees/wasps flying around, but was glad to see that the gal who is such an admirer of Martha wont the first part of the program and got to be mentored by her at Martha's farm kitchen.

I was surprised at who went home. Really thought it would have been the guy whose pie was baked long enough.

Honored Contributor

Enjoy this week's contest for the bakers. Surprised at who went home.

Next week is the finale!

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

Enjoy this week's contest for the bakers. Surprised at who went home.

Next week is the finale!

@World Traveler I was not surprised at who went home.  She's been struggling for the past 2 shows it seems.

That was a quick run on the show. 

Trusted Contributor

I'd rather see a Martha competition show than another Guy, Buddy, Valerie, or Duff competition show.....go Martha!

Occasional Contributor

I will watch this.

Who wouldn't love to learn how to make great smores in the summertime! (well, I'm sure there are some of you who won't but still...).

I loved the The Great British Baking Show on PBS, the one with Mary Berry and Paul Hollywood, and enjoyed all of the whole seasons. Hopefully Martha's show will do well in the ratings too. If they can find someone as sexy as Paul Hollywood with all that baking background, they might have a winner!

I have tried many of Martha's recipes and decorating ideas and and have mostly loved them. My cooking has risen a few pegs. Her style is straight forward and no nonsense. I think in media they call that 'hard skills' and what she is short on is 'soft skills', the ability to communicatte without offending anyone.

If anything Martha is a survivor.