Trusted Contributor

Re: Married at first sight January 2020 - spoilers possible

I think that there were some people who came on the show for the right reasons - to find a spouse. Too many of the rest are there for exposure and media. I don't ike having 5 couples or the 2-hour show. Too many dysfunctional people. I also think they should limit the people under 30 because they are just too inexperienced and immature. I think Meka, Mindy, Jessica, Austin, and maybe Derek signed up for the right reasons.

Taylor, obviously, just wants more followers, as does Zach. They were also both recruited by the show. I don't know how Michael made it past any kind of a vetting, but maybe they only meet with them once for 3 minutes. When Michael is telling his lies, he can act like he means it, but it is when he is challenged that he goes into his tears and eye avoidance and holding his head. Katie, only came on to show her ex that she didn't need him, but wanted him to be jealous and pursue her again. We, the audience, got that from the first time we met her, so I don't know why she was selected, other than she looks kind of cute (at first). Maybe she was one who talked about wanting a lot of sex - they like those!

Someone mentioned the drinking that is so obvious on all of these shows. I get that they are young, but there seems to be a constant opportunity to drink, get drunk, make a fool of themselves, which the show perpetuates.

I am not sure how many couples they are casting for next time, but I hope they dial it back. Maybe they cast 5 this time because they had a feeling that they wouldn't all make it.

Trusted Contributor

It looks like the only couple to make it is Jessica and Austin. You can tell by the way they look at each other that they are attracted and they care.  I thought that Derek and Katie would work out but now that I see them together, I think he should forget about any relationship with her.  She is always having a problem so I don't think they should stay together as she is not really happy with him.  The others should just forget about it, I think they could have done better on their own than what the professionals did.

Esteemed Contributor

I noticed that no one commented on this weeks show.  The couples visit with friends and family individually.  The way these things are staged, you would think that everyone is going to say divorce, even Jessica and Austin.  I am sure the producers told them to create a bit of drama and upheaval so it will have all of us on pins and needles until decision day, I know I am......LOL.......Woman Very HappyWoman Wink

I saw the Unfiltered show and Brandy, Katie, and Dr. Cal were on it.  Brandy was crying and saying "I just wanted a husband to share my life with bla bla bla".  She better not give up her day job, because she is no actor.  No tears at all.  Dr.Cal kept assuring her, you are a good person, honey, you will find a good man bla bla bla. Then on this weeks episode they show her laying on the couch with temper man like things are all hunky dory.  

It is like deer in headlights with this.......a total train wreck.  I really don't know why I am still watching.......oh, yeah, can't go anywhere and I have invested too much time watching and not knowing what happens.

I feel like Meka is going to grab any little tidbit that Michael throws her way.  A guy that never looks you in the eye, closes his eyes when you talk to him, keeps pulling on his beard.........UGH.

I have to say that Couples Couch with past MAFS couples watching the episode is actually better than the show.  They really know how to call out the obsurdities. Too Funny!

Well, fellow viewers, @miata1 , @Lisa now in AZ , @Snoopp , @chickenbutt , @HisElk, this next episode is the big decision day.  

Is anyone going to be watching????

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I'll be watching. I'm surprised Taylor didn't jsut walk away at this point, I see Brandon as the type who can have an explosive anger problem, & not just with 'production'. Huge red flag! 

For next week the previews suggested Mindy & Zach are a 'maybe' - I soooo doubt it!

Austin & Jessica, the producers created this work 'issue'  so there would be some drama with them. I remember they created drama with Bobby & Danielle a few seasons back.  Similar 'I love you' scenarios too- he told her he loved her during the 8 weeks and she was resistant to saying it at the time. 

Meka & Michael- adios! Very bad match, I would trust anything he says. Granted, she comes across pretty abrupt at times but I get it. I would be too!

Katie & Derek- she needs to chill. His dreams are reasonable for someone young- it has nothing to do with his priorities in life! There are lots of years to fulfill 'dreams'.

What a bust for matching this season- maybe 1 will work out?

Spoiler
I heard Derek and Katie stay together but break uo before the reunion.

Respected Contributor

@tends2dogs  I agree with you that Couples Couch is better than the main show.  They get to say what probably most viewers are thinking.

They are sometimes so insulting that it's a little surprising they are allowed to be so honest.

Honored Contributor

It looks to me like Katie is still in love with the guy she keeps mentioning who is supposedly in love with her 'still'.

Did you guys see the tiny bit of video that was played that shows Taylor and Brandon on the couch laughing and touching each other.  It said the video was taken from a camera near the ceiling (or something like that)?  What's that about.  What am I missing here?

Trusted Contributor

I was checking to see if anyone wrote since the last show.  I also think that a little drama was created for Jessica and her husband as they have really worked out well.  Derek and Katie should go their separate ways.  Her Dad seems to be a nice guy and I think he was disappointed because he wants to see his daughter settled with a nice guy and he is realizing it is not going to happen.  She is describing Derek as a boy but all she does is swear at him and can't have a decent conversation.

The people involved here should ask themselves a question, can I live with this person the rest of my life, do I have to adjust the way I am to make them happy all the time. Who would want to live like that forever. It does not make sense to me to settle just to have a marriage. I adore the way Meka talks, she is one smart cookie and she says what is on her mind and does it intelligently. She needs to find someone else. Michael is a nice guy but he has his issues to deal with.  Looking forward to the final show.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@miata1 wrote:

I was checking to see if anyone wrote since the last show.  I also think that a little drama was created for Jessica and her husband as they have really worked out well.  Derek and Katie should go their separate ways.  Her Dad seems to be a nice guy and I think he was disappointed because he wants to see his daughter settled with a nice guy and he is realizing it is not going to happen.  She is describing Derek as a boy but all she does is swear at him and can't have a decent conversation.

The people involved here should ask themselves a question, can I live with this person the rest of my life, do I have to adjust the way I am to make them happy all the time. Who would want to live like that forever. It does not make sense to me to settle just to have a marriage. I adore the way Meka talks, she is one smart cookie and she says what is on her mind and does it intelligently. She needs to find someone else. Michael is a nice guy but he has his issues to deal with.  Looking forward to the final show.

@miata1  I want to slap Katie through the tv when she described Derek as a 'boy'! He's a good, stable (unlike some others this season!) guy who's really trying, but she's so judgemental when he talks about most 'life' things. What's the big deal if he wants to build a big treehouse? Or write a book?  That's endearing! She also got really mad when he was joking around comfortably  with Taylor- it showed her feelings becasue she was obviously jealous. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Annabellethecat66 wrote:

It looks to me like Katie is still in love with the guy she keeps mentioning who is supposedly in love with her 'still'.

Did you guys see the tiny bit of video that was played that shows Taylor and Brandon on the couch laughing and touching each other.  It said the video was taken from a camera near the ceiling (or something like that)?  What's that about.  What am I missing here?

@Annabellethecat66  It seems the apts have security cameras. I'm surprised that doesn't bring on a temper tantrum from Brandon!

Honored Contributor

@Ibby114  Perhaps Brandon wasn't aware of the 'security cameras'.

Perhaps Brandon is like 99.9% of the rest of us and doesn't read the tiny small print notifying him there are cameras in the ceiling.  Ha!

I constantly remind myself what I'm looking at actually happened months ago.  For all we know, he was viewing this at about the same time we were.

It boggles my mind (easily done) to even TRY to imagine that he'd have a problem with the cameras.  I mean, how does he think the public would be able to follow this 'journey' he and his 'wife' were going through?  Come on!

Actually, I think the producers of this show have shown pretty good taste in respecting the privacy of these people....(whoops!  I almost said ACTORS).  In my opinion...that's a good thing.  I mean, I don't know about others, but I don't need to see what people are doing in THEIR intimate moments.....I'd rather relive my own intimate moments between my late husband and myself.

I admit I don't think I saw the first season of this show because I don't remember any of those people.  However, I will say that from there on, this season brings to the forefront that (for the most part) these are people (my opinion people) who could have found partners if they'd put some effort into it.

I speak from what I've felt and observed in my own family.  It takes effort and the will to want to put ones self out there in order to find a life partner, especially if you have other issues grabbing to pull you back into your 'safe' life you've created.

It's not brain surgery to see that Katie was on the rebound from her 'guy' who wouldn't commit.  Perhaps they will reconnect and dance off into the sunset.  But my guess is now she's muddied up what they did have by this quickie marriage.  

Here's to Katie, whom I believe will never be really happy because she's always reaching for something that's unreachable to HER.

I'm sorry but I don't think many of these people were ever serious about looking for a life partner.

Perhaps Mindy is the exception to this.  From the very beginning my heart attached to Mindy.  I really wanted her to find her life partner....but I still hang onto the hope that she will.

As far as Derek goes, he doesn't love Katie.  If he did he'd give her the love (yes, saying it and meaning it) she SAYS she so desperately craves (but not from him).

As far as Meka and Michael...nothing to say there.  He's a provocateur (a nice word for a liar).  Putting him with Meka (someone who totally values truth more than most) showed us immediately what a liar looks like.  That said, I do feel sorry for him.  I truly believe most people that lie so easily don't mean to hurt like they do, they just feel inept in life and think "I say it....therefore...it is" (true...I'm saying he's trying to trick himself into believing what he's saying).  His heart knows otherwise.

Zack...Zack...what can I say about Zack?  Well, we all agree, he has amazing hair and most would agree he is easy on the eyes.  But there's very little beyond that.  He's a selfish son of a gun...I surmise Zack has led a charmed life (beautiful people often do).  But don't wish problems for Zack down the line....life has a way of biting us in the butt when we least expect it.

Phew!  What a show!  This season, more than any (in my opinion) has been like watching a train wreck over and over.

There's very little redeeming quality to be found in this season

But cheer up people...there's always next season.