Trusted Contributor

Re: Married at first sight January 2020 - spoilers possible

I really think that the so-called experts have very little to do with the matching. I think it is all done by the producers. Maybe the producers pick the cast and then the experts match them up based on who is in the pool, but there is no way these couples were set up to be sucessful.

Especially the ones who were actually recruited to be on the show, including Michael and Zach. Michael is not emotionally stable enough to be in a relationship, much less a public one played out on TV. Zach and Taylor (also recruited) were just in it for the publicity. Taylor will probably end up on some Pardise Island kind of show; actually I could see Zach doing that, too. 

Honored Contributor

Wake up, peeps!  Smiley Happy

Anybody watch last night's episode yet?

My biggest concern is that the wife of Derek (is it Katy?) seems to go off pretty easily.

The ones who are destined to fail, no matter what, I don't even care anymore.

The getaway seemed to be a bust.

I missed it- what did she make in the Crock Pot?  Smiley Very Happy

Respected Contributor

@chickenbutt wrote:

Wake up, peeps!  Smiley Happy

Anybody watch last night's episode yet?

My biggest concern is that the wife of Derek (is it Katy?) seems to go off pretty easily.

The ones who are destined to fail, no matter what, I don't even care anymore.

The getaway seemed to be a bust.

I missed it- what did she make in the Crock Pot?  Smiley Very Happy

@chickenbutt  - You're correct, her name is Katy (sp?).  IMO, there's nothing Derek will or can do to make her happy, or even content.  When she was with Jessica and Meka down the hallway, she accused Derek of flirting with Taylor and even Meka disagreed.  And now she's hung up on the poem he wrote years ago?  Unless he's willing to give up any of his dreams, and be a "yes man" to her, I don't see that one working.  She just comes off as too condescending to me most of the time.  Not a life I'd want.

Sorry, but I don't remember what was made in the crock pot if anything at all.

Other than maybe Austin, Jessica, I have no hope for any of the others.

Esteemed Contributor

I watched last night, @chickenbutt .  I also watched Unfiltered just before the show.  She had Jessica and Zach plus the woman counselor on.  I have to say that Zach is a different person than he was on the show.  I really think they script a lot of what they want to have happen.  Anyway, in his defense, if I was paired up with someone I wasn't attracted to, I would most likely walk early in the show.  You can't make the chemistry happen.  I would discuss all of that with the other person (off camera) and try to work something out.  He was always polite to Mindy, just wasn't present.

Katie and Derek fight and make up, fight and make up.  They even discussed that last night.  That works for some people.  I do think she sees him as too immature.  I just see him as adventursome and friendly.  He really wants to make this work.

Michael and Meka should call it a day.  Did you see the size of the glass he poured straight Jack Daniels into when they first got there? What is up with the fact that he can never look Meka in the eyes.  He either has his eyes shut while pulling on that stupid beard or is running his face. He is one messed up guy.  I take it that he was lying about being with Brandon because Taylor was checking her phone for the texts she got from Brandon. The faces Taylor was making was telling Meka that he was lying yet again.  I can't imagine starting your life out with someone who immediately needs to go into counseling.....especially a stranger who you don't love.

Brandon and Taylor = another trainwreck.  She can't leave her previous single life and he has a terrible temper.  The names he was calling the shows staff was such a terrible display of his true personality......unless it was an act???  I think that Taylor is a flirt and troublemaker.  

I think Jessica and Austin are good to go.  They seem almost guilty for being happy. 

Personally I thought that the amount of drinking they were doing didn't help all of the flare ups the couples were having.  I have nothing against drinking.......I do, but in the midst of making a major decision like this, I wouldn't want to cloud my mind in anyway.  

I don't know about the Crockpot.  Is next week the last show........I HOPE!!!  Woman Very Happy

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

Agreed, Jessica and Austin do seem to feel bad for being happy!! They're really cute together, I hope it works out.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Katy seems to be quite the princess and I agree that there is nothing he will be able to do to make her happy.   He is best rid of her.

Taylor and Brandon are just awful.  He is just an unstable man and she is just a girl who wants to have fun.  Not a good combo!

Michael and Meka.  She is another one who is best rid of her match.  There is no happily ever after with that liar.

The only couple in question, really, are Jessica and Austin.  And I don't know if his traveling will cause them not to stay together.

Spoiler
From what I've read the other couples have all split up.

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

I think we have one more show before the D Day one. And then the reunion. I am just so disgusted by Katie's attitude and her immaturity. Derek is trying, but there's only so much he can do when she shoots him down or tells him he isn't aggressive enough and then walks away and pouts, waiting for him to go get her. He could be a great husband for someone else.

I really don't like any of the couples, except Jessica and Austin. I believe the whole "he has to travel for work and I can't sleep without my husband in my bed" is totally producer driven. She has known the guy for 8 weeks! I do feel bad for them that they can't be happy in front of the rest of the nutjobs.

I also read that

Spoiler
Katie and Derek say yes at Decision Day, but are divorced before the reunion. I have no idea why they say yes at all.

Respected Contributor

I'll toss my ideas out there that may be worth nothing at all.  I suspect Taylor has been in abusive relationships before.  For such a beautiful woman to feel the need for professionals to find her a match, then pressure Brandon while he is in the throes of his own aggressions, informed me that about her.  Drama drives her.  He seems to want to escape it but when he feels cornered, which doesn't take much, he behaves like an abuser and instead of backing off, she's in his face.  They are combustible together and feed off of it.

I have some compassionn for Michael because his problems run very deep, he should never have been on this show and I hope he engages some therapy to iron out why he chooses the lie over the truth and can turn that around.  I think this show will have done damage to his ability to find the work he wants but in the long run, may be the best thing that happened if he gets help.  He's a sad mess.

Katy is giving mental health workers a bad look.  I'm embarrassed for some of her behaviors where she ought to have some better self-understanding but people are human and she's that.  She would have been better matched with a male she didn't feel a need to provide any bedroom training.  She insists on playing a role that pits him in a groveling position that's beneath them both.  I hope whoever is supervising her professionally will refer her into her own therapy and extensive trainiing.  Derek needs to run and keep looking for the right kind of love.

Honored Contributor

Hey, Free!  Smiley Happy    I hear ya.   

There is so much to unpack with these folks, but I think they needed to not go so hard to make 5 couples and put more effort into 3 or 4.

The Katy thing really bothers me.  Derek really seems like such a nice young man.   He puts up with a lot and tries to iron things out with her.  She calls him names (don't do that!!) and a lot of things that are so counter-intuitive to what she supposedly does for a living.   It is confusing and flabbergasting to me.

I wish Michael could open up and get that huge wall down and I would have a feeling they might do well.  I'm sure, in real time, we're way beyond that but it's no less a shame.

There is just so much they did wrong here.  I don't get why these professionals don't go further into these people, especially from a psychological POV, to know more about what motivates them and what roads they have blocked.    They just don't go far enough.  Sure, this is a tv show but it's also peoples' lives and, IMO, that's more important.  It just makes me sad.   I guess about the only good thing is that some of them probably learn a lot more about themselves and I hope that is a positive for them, going forward.

Esteemed Contributor

Katy is immature and self centered.  Calling Derek a weirdo and loser is just wrong.  Derek seems happy go lucky but he can’t please her at all.  He certainly got paired with the wrong person.  I think he might have had a chance with the right person.  Hope this negative experience doesn’t scar him.

Jessica and Austin are the only couple that makes it, IMO.