Esteemed Contributor
We watched a few episodes yesterday. I didn't watch any of the first season. The whole concept of the show just blows my mind! I can't imagine marrying someone I just met. Could you do it?
Honored Contributor

wildcat there's another group of postings on this somewhere, but I understand if you can't find it. I can't ever find the 'old' postings on subjects.

Anyway, that's probably why some people aren't posting. We can start another one. I watched it from the beginning. It's really difficult to tell how things really went because they edit all reality shows so the people/couples look so messed up (I guess like some people like watching a train wreck). You know, like, 'wow, I'm glad that isn't me'. Ha! I think I'm probably guilty if I'm honest because I watch some reality shows (I draw the line with Kardashians) that's really not my cup of tea (so to speak).

I don't think I could do it although I fell in love with my late husband from seeing him across the dance floor (Vietnam War days, military USO dances). I told my sister (whom I lived with, "I'm going to marry him". She said, "Number 1 you swore you'd never marry and number 2 you don't even know his name". Next week at the dance I asked him his last name and from then on myself and everyone we knew called him by his (and eventually mine) last name. Even his Mother would call him that sometimes.

So, I totally believe you can love someone and I believe as you are together you fall deeper in love. Some people it takes a long time. My Mother was married 6 times (1 X my dad, 2X's my 2 sister's Dad and 3X's my Father's best friend. Everyone in my family except my brother has been married 2,3 or more times.

I was married to my husband 38 years when he died. I think people are WAY too quick to throw in the towel these days. My daughter is only 34 years old and many of her friends are on their 2nd marriage, while everyone I know (friends from high school and old, old friends are all still married. It takes work, work.

Sometimes it makes sense not to stay married (abuse, etc) but this stuff, "We fell out of love". Get over it! Work harder to get it back.

Anyway, I think the most honest person in all of this is the young woman (I'm terrible on names) who keeps saying, "I'm just not attracted to him". I'd be like her in a lot of ways. I worry that since my daughter will marry (what for some is 'later') she will find it difficult to bend in all of the ways it takes in marriage.

Another show you might like if you like this one is Newlyweds, the first year. I watched it last year and really liked it. I'm having trouble watching it this year. I think I just like Tarz from last year! Ha!

I wish some of the reality shows would have older people in them and people who aren't beautiful and even have some disabilities. That's what the world is really made up of. Right?

Trusted Contributor

I watched the first season; I am having a more difficult time getting into this season.

I don't care much for the gal who just isn't attracted to her man.... she isn't such a catch, herself. I like the guy she married. I feel sorry for him.

I know the nurse and his bride were bullied in their background.... I am not sure that is enough.... time will tell.

The third couple....Ryan and Jessica? I think they have the best chance.... I am not sure why.... I think they have the family behind them.... and that will help.

Esteemed Contributor
Sorry, I didn't realize there was another thread about this show. I just started watching yesterday, but I recall seeing the commercials promoting the first season. Annabellethecat, I enjoyed reading about you and your husband. Sounds romantic. Smiley Happy In my class, we recently read about Romeo and Juliet. I like to explore the possibility of love at first sight. I was immediately attracted to my husband, but we dated several years before we got married. I wanted to complete my education and start a career and have some money saved before tying the knot. Although not an arranged marriage, I knew he would be a keeper because my parents really liked him. Having their approval was important to me. As for the show, I wonder about the one who says she isn't attracted to her husband. He seems like a nice guy. I'm sure that must hurt him. The nurse and his bride seem compatible, especially with their key gifts, so I guess time will tell. Ryan and Jessica do seem to be meant to be together. They both had a sparkle in their eyes. Smiley Happy Love the analyst's name, Dr. Pepper!
Respected Contributor

I , as opposed to Game-On, am enjoying this season more than I did the last one. I completely agree with her assessment of the couples with the addition of Ryan's mother whom I think is going to be trouble.....In answer to your question, OP, I think I would do it....people go to bed with strangers all the time and what is more intimate than that ? I think I could try it for a month. (I would not like it if my kids or grands did it though.)

Honored Contributor

I never talked to my daughters about &e. X as a mor.al way. I talked to them as a way of saying it can go two ways, but it is more lasting and beautiful when it is with someone you love because (as a young person you don't have to sneek around) and emotionally, you think you understand what COULD happen, but there are no for sure's in life (in other words, guys see it as their 'job' to do it and you need to think more highly about yourself.

Two of them are happily married with 5 (4 living) and 3 children each. The 34 year old isn't married yet but lives life to the fullest. She doesn't date just to be doing it, right now this is her time she says. She is like me in that we don't need males to complet us.

Phew~ Bla! Bla! I mention this because ..... now that I'm old(er) (going on 69 this year), I would be more willing to invest days or weeks or longer with someone I didn't love. I have had an amazing love 2 times in my life (when I was a teen....amazing for 3 years) and as a married women (still love him).

I think (contrary) to what males think women can do this when they get older. I think a woman who is in her 50's and more realizes she doesn't need to be in love and can enjoy herself (you know what I mean) . Throughout history women are always made to be the bad guy. We have realized we're not the bad guy a lot time ago and go on with life, but just keep quiet about it....does that make sense?

Respected Contributor

ANNABELLE---it makes perfect sense to me. I, like you, replay my DH's dying over and over in my mind. It has only been a few months but the whole thing seems so surreal. We had a VERY active "personal" life and I have no intention of spending the rest of my days without "it".....Being in love is not and will not be a requirement. In fact, I have no desire to be in love with anyone. When the time comes, being in lust is all I care about !

Honored Contributor

Danky, if you were standing here, I'd hug you. Widow is a club no one wants to belong to. Yet, unfortunately more and more people my age (don't know yours) will be joining the club.

My daughter recently (through a conversation with her) realized that most of the friends I went to high school with are still happily married to the same person and both partners are well and alive. She said, "Mom, that's unusual that so many are still married and that one hasn't died".

There are a few hundred of us (yes, we have a 'club' called "you know you're from Alexandria if". There are many, many of us.

Many of us will be together (if I go) this summer for our 50th reunion. Sometimes it's painful for me to even go to the grocery store to see these couples my age shopping together. My late husband hated the grocery store and every time he went you'd have thought he was in Disneyland. Ha! But you know what I mean.

It is very difficult to not be sooooo angry at GOD, the world, everyone. We had so much. Worked so hard to have money to travel anywhere. Now there's no one to enjoy it with. I hear, "You can go with friends" (they have husbands). My daughters have their own lives. My friends, the single one's don't have the money to travel. So, now I've boo hooed.

I think I'm blessed though because I have a wonderful family, pretty good health but mostly because I realize I am lucky to have known a kind of love most people never get to experience it.

Danky, I hope you had that kind of love. Just remember mostly the good times. As time goes on you'll even be able to see that even during the 'bad' times the love you shared was still there and you worked through it. You are I are both lucky. Be safe.