Honored Contributor

Re: Married at First Sight - Houston

I think at this point I feel pretty much like most of you do!  I don't know what's real or what isn't!  I don't want to watch but I can't seem to stop watching because I'm afraid I'll miss something!  I just want decision day to come so this bunch will be over!  I keep thinking -- why would people enter into something like this if they didn't have real intentions?  I mean, I guess they get some money, but it can't be that much!  And they all seem, at least for what is posted, that they have decent jobs and must make a pretty good living.  If you didn't really want to find a husband or wife, albeit, under unusual circumstances, why subject yourself to this??? Are some of them so desperate to get on t.v. that they do it purely for the media attention??  I guess since I'm not wired this way, I just can't imagine it.

Also, I am wondering --- having all these couples doing so many joint activities ---- is it really helping or harming the individual relationships?  I think for the most part it is more damaging, as they are discussing things with other members in the group and venting to them, instead of trying to work it out or venting to their partner about what the issues are.  But I guess they are just trying to make it more interesting to the t.v. audience.   

To me, at this point, I have a hard time believing any of them will make it as a married couple.  One or two might say they wish to continue the marriage on decision day, but I don't see any of them lasting.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1, I agree with you about there being too many group activities this time.  Instead of so much sharing about their partners to each other, they should be talking it to the 'experts' or one on one to their spouses.  Although, I see with Johnny/Bao and Zach/Michaela that seems to lead to arguments with no positivity.  It might work with Brett and Ryan without nastiness, though.  Ryan has not handled this well but he's still likable.  He's just not into Brett and I can't fault him for that.  Blame the experts for giving him the opposite type woman he wanted.  Sorry, but she turns me off, too, as his bride choice.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 wrote:

I think at this point I feel pretty much like most of you do!  I don't know what's real or what isn't!  I don't want to watch but I can't seem to stop watching because I'm afraid I'll miss something!  I just want decision day to come so this bunch will be over!  I keep thinking -- why would people enter into something like this if they didn't have real intentions?  I mean, I guess they get some money, but it can't be that much!  And they all seem, at least for what is posted, that they have decent jobs and must make a pretty good living.  If you didn't really want to find a husband or wife, albeit, under unusual circumstances, why subject yourself to this??? Are some of them so desperate to get on t.v. that they do it purely for the media attention??  I guess since I'm not wired this way, I just can't imagine it.

Also, I am wondering --- having all these couples doing so many joint activities ---- is it really helping or harming the individual relationships?  I think for the most part it is more damaging, as they are discussing things with other members in the group and venting to them, instead of trying to work it out or venting to their partner about what the issues are.  But I guess they are just trying to make it more interesting to the t.v. audience.   

To me, at this point, I have a hard time believing any of them will make it as a married couple.  One or two might say they wish to continue the marriage on decision day, but I don't see any of them lasting.  

@AngelPuppy1 - I think some of them really do go on the show hoping to find a husband/wife. Some go on because they are recruited by the producers and it sounds like fun. Some go on to promote themselves or their business. 

I agree with you about all of the group activities. I think they are hurting the couples, BUT it must be good for ratings! In the early years I don't remember the group dates at all. They never met the others until the end of the season, when the girls got together, and the men got together. They all went different places for their honeymoons. It looks like the girls from each season stay in touch after the season ends. 

And some of the couples stay close. Some try dating again, and some are good friends. I still think of  Neil and Samantha from Season 3. On Decision Day Sam wanted to stay married, but Neil wanted to divorce. They remain very close. When Sam's daughter was born Neil was in the delivery room with the rest of her family! Smiley Happy 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@beach-mom, next season is in Boston and I think that has already been filmed. The following season that they are "casting" now is San Diego. I am not expecting anything to change from how it is going now.

ETA: Do you know if they can stay in their TV apartment if they want to? If people really have a connection, can they stay there together or od they always just show up for filming?

They must be able to stay if they want to - otherwise, there is no way that Brett would have been able to get hers so messy!

Honored Contributor

@Lisa now in AZ wrote:

@beach-mom, next season is in Boston and I think that has already been filmed. The following season that they are "casting" now is San Diego. I am not expecting anything to change from how it is going now.

ETA: Do you know if they can stay in their TV apartment if they want to? If people really have a connection, can they stay there together or od they always just show up for filming?

They must be able to stay if they want to - otherwise, there is no way that Brett would have been able to get hers so messy!

@Lisa now in AZ - I'm not sure. I do know the apartments used to have cameras on the ceilings and in almost every room. A few people have said that really bothered them. At first we never saw handheld cameras. Now we see them AND producers all around.

I think the first couples did stay together, with the exception of Monet and Vaughn. They used the excuse that  Vaughn had to go to his previous apartment because it was closer to his military reservist training and his gear was there. That was when the show made a big deal about the couples giving up their individual apartments and choosing an apartment or house together. Some did choose a house. 

I do know Luke showed up only for filming. I'm sure the couples who did get along might be able to stay together- if they trust the cameras or can hide from them! LOL!  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

More spoilers- NOT verified by MAFS fan, so take it as you want! This supposedly came from someone "close to the show," maybe a crew member. IDK if it's true or not. I do know some is, but I just doubt everything is! 

Spoiler
According to an anonymous source there was a lot of "intermingling" on the set! Gil apparently got drunk and ranted about things on set. Myrla and Johnny are together. This started around the time Johnny "uninvited" Bao to his family's barbecue. Bao and Zack would take long walks together, and producers knew about it. Then they decided to spin Zack and Michaela's story. Bao and Zack are together. Brett and Gil supposedly got together at least once, but are not together now. Brett is dating one of her good friends- maybe a roommate (?) Ryan is supposedly dating someone from the Boston season, which is close to finishing. I did post earlier that Gil shows up at the reunion with his new girlfriend. If most of this IS true, the reunion show will be one for the books!
Honored Contributor

I just heard MAFS fan will address all this tomorrow. Then we will know what parts are true and what parts are just rumors and probably not true!  Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie 

While it is true that looks aren't everything, if you start off right off the bat not liking how the other person looks at all, and feel not one shred of attraction for this person, it will be extremely difficult to form a physical connection or bond under these circumstances.  The "experts" have been given information by each person about their likes and dislikes, what physical features they are attracted to, etc.  Also, as discussed before, if you pair a spendthrift with somone who is extremely tight with their money, this is gonna be problematic!  Other troubling pairings to consider --- a person who is a homebody with a person who wants to be out there all the time --- or --- an extremely athletic, active person with a person who is not athleticly inclined at all and has no desire for this lifestyle.  Many red flags right off the bat that could be avoided if the "experts" would just pay attention.  The should match according to what the people have listed are their yeses and nos --- not what they feel they should have!  For whatever reason, Ryan appears to just not emote much at all --- whether it's just with Brett or this is just his pattern.  If I were Brett, I'd want to shake him up and say ---- Give me something --- anything --- just tell me straight up!  As for Brett, she's not a gorgeous model, but she's cute and seems like a nice person.  If he wants a super hot babe and this is his requirement, then, obviously, she's not it! 

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom 

I don't remember all this group dating in the past either.  I don't think it's the right thing to "recruit" people.  There surely are tons of people who apply to do this.  I think Sam really knew she shot herself in the foot with the way she treated Neil.  But, at least they are good friends now.  

Honored Contributor

@beach-mom 

Regarding your spoiler info --- WOW!  If that stuff is true ---- very interesting!  Am anxious to hear more and have info verified!