Regular Contributor

Married at First Sight - Houston

Thought we should have a new thread for the new season of MAFS.

The matching special that was on this week was interesting.  What it showed me is that there is very little science in how the experts match people.  I think we are in for more drama from big differences and incompatibility.  Another guy who is a home-body with a party girl, and the Asian couple who already know each other.  ("I KNOW her" and "It's JOHNNY!" in the previews)

Next week is the Kevin Frasier special where they talk about each couple and do predictions on who will stay together.  I noticed they are also having previous MAFS people on.  I could not believe they have Hayley in the mix.  She is the last one I want to see or hear from, given the way she treated Jake and the overall way she conducted herself.

I agree with what was said on the other thread that the early seasons of MAFS were much better.  Now it seems to be more about ratings and controversial TV than actually helping couples find happiness, learn each other and grow in a marriage.

Looking forward to the new season though.

Valued Contributor

Re: Married at First Sight - Houston

The home body with the party girl - haven't they learned their lesson from the New Orleans season?  

Brett and Olivia from New Orleans season - 

Although they connected over cats, Brett and Olivia clashed over major marriage topics such as finances and children. While Olivia wanted to travel and enjoy life, Brett couldn’t get past his nurse practitioner wife making more money than him.

Brett also owned a house and was planning for the future and a family.  Brett was not interested in partying, eating out and spending every dime he had. plus the nonstop travel that Olivia wanted.

Fast forward to the new Houston season - we have the same b......it  all over again on the part of the "experts":  with Rachel and Jose:

Dr. Pepper:  "“Now, she does have a penchant for a social life, and he’s flat out said… Sundays [are] for meal prep,” 

Really, Dr. Pepper, she said a little bit more than that.  She said she would ditch her husband and not stay home when it came to social outings.  Jose has a dry erase board with his budget promptly displayed in his living room.  My guess is he's not going to want to do the expensive eating out and wining and dining that Rachel likes.  How can these experts be that stupid to do this a second time - match a spender with a  thrifty saver.

Out of 6,000 applicants, they pick "Ryan" a serial dater whose friend describe as having dated thousands of women in Houston.  Out of the thousands he has dated, he couldn't find one to settle down with - what does that tell you?  It tells me there is something wrong with Ryan and he likes variety and is not ready to settle down as he would have already done that.  But noooooooo - our experts think they can pick a match for him that will last.  I would be so angry if they matched me up with a player like Ryan.  Again, you have 6,000 applicants and you pick this obvious player?  

Respected Contributor

MAFS was my favorite show for many years but last year I lost interest and did not watch the finale.  I am going to try this year again but if it seems as phony and staged as last year I may give it up.  I know there are couples who stay together and have a real relationship.  I am not sure why I turned against the show.  Also I don't care for the couples cam stuff.  Once the finale is over I am over it.  I only care to ever hear about them again if they get a divorce.  

Respected Contributor

I completely agree about the disappointments with these matches when they said they'd had more applicants than ever before.  A lot of them must have had issues that disquaified them which makes me wonder what in the heck is going on with all of those people.

Plan on some ugly fighting this season, not looking forward to that.  

Difficult adjustments to be expected.  Let's hope for the best!

Honored Contributor

Gee, just yesterday I ran across an odd station (maybe new?) that featured several episodes made in New York area.  (2016?)

Haven't seen the ending yet.  

I'm rooting for the outgoing personality bride.  Forgot her name and didn't take notes.  Her 'husband' kept saying that he missed his neice and his mom.  

Anyway, thoroughly enjoyed those re-runs.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

As in every season, I have "hope" for all of the couples. And some have made it work.

But I agree with what you said @bayflwc. I've watched since the beginning, I know some of the behind-the-scenes activities, thanks to a distant "connection" with one of the grooms. And I've learned more as time went on.

No matter what the experts say, you will never convince me this show isn't at least partially scripted. For a while now, since the show moved to Lifetime, it's been all about the ratings. 

Last season we had the "villain" Chris thanking everyone for watching on social media? I believe he was hired to play the part. And I think Paige was in on it, maybe not from the beginning, but shortly after. I do know she was paid to stay until the end.

So as nice as these young people seem, I think we'll see drama for ratings, at least one couple crazy about each other, and at least one couple we're not sure about.

All to get viewers. There are already "spoilers" out there! 

I'll have fun watching! Enjoy!   Smiley Happy

Regular Contributor

Tonight is the kickoff show with Kevin Frazier and his panel of journalism friends. 

Who will be watching?

Respected Contributor

DH and I recorded it and started watching while still recording.  I ended up falling asleep, woke up and asked  him what I missed.  He said he fell asleep.  Both of us found it to be very boring.

What neither of us could figure out was why KF said because of covid, he couldn't be in the studio with the others, then they bring in other seasons' married couples, so it just made no sense to us.

Maybe someone knows why and can share.

Honored Contributor

Since my Wednesday evenings at 7 pm is a blank, I'll probably gwatch the new season.  Season 12 was my first season, so I don't have much to compare.  Here's hoping we don't have another Chris and Paige in the wings, lol.

I thought last nights pre-show was pretty good except that two hours would have been enough.  No need to invite past couples.  I didn't know them.  I liked the way they looked back at their last year's guesses as to who would stay together and for Chris and Paige, they all had given a thumb's down except Kevin Frazier, lol.  It appeared that the Clara and Ryan divorce news hadn't happened before broadcast.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Esteemed Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

Since my Wednesday evenings at 7 pm is a blank, I'll probably gwatch the new season.  Season 12 was my first season, so I don't have much to compare.  Here's hoping we don't have another Chris and Paige in the wings, lol.

I thought last nights pre-show was pretty good except that two hours would have been enough.  No need to invite past couples.  I didn't know them.  I liked the way they looked back at their last year's guesses as to who would stay together and for Chris and Paige, they all had given a thumb's down except Kevin Frazier, lol.  It appeared that the Clara and Ryan divorce news hadn't happened before broadcast.

Nor Erik and Virginia's divorce.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!