Honored Contributor

Re: Marriage Story - what am I missing?

@Lisa now in AZ -

I agree with you and also thought it was very depressing.

The only thing I can think of was it was very realistic.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Esteemed Contributor

DH and I couldn't finish it. Too much monologue. 

Occasional Contributor

I agree.I was not impressed.  

Frequent Contributor

Critics don't get together like a cabal.

I watched M.S. with someone who had been through a divorce and ws so moved she couldn't even tell the rest of us which parts hit home the most.  And I just came home from a doctor, who said his parents had divorced when he was 10 and was amazed by the insights.

I did think the performances were amazing.

Honored Contributor

I was going ot watch it, but maybe not worth my time. 

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

I was going ot watch it, but maybe not worth my time. 

@Shelbelle, who knows, you might like it, I would give it a try ( I saw it, it was okay).

Regular Contributor

I lasted about 10 minutes, I couldn't get into it.

Trusted Contributor

I thought it stunk, too!

I only made it about half way then threw in the towel. I thought the characters were extremely dislikable and uncompromising. Probably a good one to validate a viewers' divorce angst, and that is the only thing positive I can think of to say.

dee

@Lisa now in AZ wrote:

I just can't believe it is getting all these nominations and awards. I watched it and I was thinking it was just meh. I don't remember coming away thinking that Laura Dern was so amazing, either. Maybe I should watch it again? Anyone else?

The closest film I can think of is Kramer vs Kramer and that one was much more emotionally impactful than this was. I didn't care about either of the parents in Marriage Story.

Honored Contributor

I couldn't even get through the first 15-20 minutes --- so fake and boring.  I usually can wait things out but this just got on my nerves.  It must have gotten a LOT better as it went on.... because from just the start I thought it was lousy.  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

LOL @AngelPuppy1, no it didn't get a lot better (to me). It was pretty much static the whole time with no real energy. Plus, I agree with @deedledeedeedle  who said that neither of the characters were likeable. For this premise to work, you have to care about the people.