Trusted Contributor

Marriage Story - what am I missing?

I just can't believe it is getting all these nominations and awards. I watched it and I was thinking it was just meh. I don't remember coming away thinking that Laura Dern was so amazing, either. Maybe I should watch it again? Anyone else?

The closest film I can think of is Kramer vs Kramer and that one was much more emotionally impactful than this was. I didn't care about either of the parents in Marriage Story.

Regular Contributor

Re: Marriage Story - what am I missing?

You're not alone. I kept waiting for the movie to 'pick up', which it never did. I thought is was really slow and boring.

Honored Contributor

@Lisa now in AZ wrote:

I just can't believe it is getting all these nominations and awards. I watched it and I was thinking it was just meh. I don't remember coming away thinking that Laura Dern was so amazing, either. Maybe I should watch it again? Anyone else?

The closest film I can think of is Kramer vs Kramer and that one was much more emotionally impactful than this was. I didn't care about either of the parents in Marriage Story.

@Lisa now in AZ , I feel exactly the same as you do! The movie was okay, I don't get the praise Laura Dern is receiving for her performance, I don't think she was exceptional.

Honored Contributor

I feel the same way about the director nominations.  Greta has her movie nominated for best picture and 2 actors are nominated.  But she isn't.  I don't get it!

Trusted Contributor

@Lisa now in AZ   I couldn't agree with you more.  I just watched this film yesterday due to all the accolades and was quite disappointed.  It didn't move me at all and I think the performances were mediocare at best.

Esteemed Contributor

I'm guessing this story relates to many who have experienced the heartbreak of broken marriages. This harsh reality depicted in the movie must be the appeal. It's obvious this couple cares about one another and child -- but they can't make it work. Can't find their joy or contentment. Understandable when uncaring people can't make it work. Sad when caring people can't make it work. That's my take from it. To me, the movie screams - NO COMPROMISE. 

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Respected Contributor

I thought the movie was mostly dull and only mildly interesting.  So, it doesn't surprise me a bit that it is nominated for lots of awards.  I almost never agree with the critics. 

Respected Contributor

I thought the movie and performances were good UNTIL all the nominations.  Not THAT good.  

Valued Contributor

Every year,the critics pick a movie and go crazy over it deeming it the best movie ever. Then I watch and say huh? This year,Marriage Story is that movie. 

Trusted Contributor

Thanks for all the replies. I see that I am not alone AT ALL. I still find it odd that movies that are streamed or you watch from home are getting nominations for Oscars. I am not ready to give up my movie theaters and popcorn!