Honored Contributor

Re: Marlene Dietrich

[ Edited ]

I'm a much bigger Billy Wilder fan than a Marlene Dietrich fan.  I think he was a comic genius.  However, I do want to see A Foreign Affair to see if I can stoke my enthusiasm for MD a bit more.  

Of course I think she was amazingly talented, but my most vivid memory of her is of her sitting on a bar stool with a top hat and tuxedo-like costume, singing in a sultry manner.  Why is that, I wonder.  

I need to be impressed by her cinematically.  Going to see your film suggestion.

Found that photo I've seen often:

Image result for photo of marlene dietrich wearing tuxedo and singing

Honored Contributor

Dietrich was a big fashion icon in her day. She was considered a trendsetter. Today her fashion sense still resonates.

Honored Contributor

i love it when she sings in her world-weary German accent (was it first in "The Blue Angel"?)

"Falling in love again,

Never wanted to,

What am I to do?

Can't help it."

Found it!  This version of her singing it is from late in her career, when she was touring in concert.  There are many versions of her singing it at various ages, online.  This gives me chills:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=47&v=aBr1wqPfTrA

Honored Contributor

Witness for the Prosecution, she was fab!!!

Honored Contributor

BTW, I fell asleep on Mortal Storm last night, I would love to know more about it. Ben M gave it a very special intro.

Honored Contributor

Yes, I certainly remember hearing this many times.

Thank you for the memory jogs.

Honored Contributor

Pure star quality, @golding76!  Whether she was vamping the troops during World War II, or being pelted with roses by besotted fans in this video!

Honored Contributor

My fave was No Highway in the Sky with Jimmy Stewart. Maybe I just liked the movie, but I thought she was very good in it. Different.