Honored Contributor

Re: Marie Osmond hawking Publishers Clearing house on TV Comercials

@DLew wrote:

What surprises me about this is that Marie Osmond is a Mormon. They oppose addictive substances and behaviors such as drugs, including caffeine, and gambling. Entering the PCH sweepstakes is gambling. I don't care how she earns money. I would never enter that contest. To each his own. 

Is PCH considered gambling?  I'm not sure.  They probably say something like "purchase not required to enter."  It must be more like a sweepstakes.

Super Contributor

I think we need to think of this from the viewpoint of the both the company and the celebrity. I remember thinking when I first saw Marie Osmond advertising for PCH: "I'm surprised she's a spokesperson for them." Both the company and the celebrity have a reputation. I'm sure that PCH has a reputation of "does the consumer believe that they (PCH) are a legit company or not?" So, they've probably contacted several celebrities to represent them. Marie Osmond, like her or not, is a legit celebrity. PCH is hoping that you see Marie Osmond, you'll believe PCH is a legit company giving out $5000 a week for life. Now does Marie Osmond think that PCH is a legit company? Well, I don't know. Either she truly believes in the company, or she needs the money. Who knows? Does Tom Selleck believe in the reverse mortgage company, or does he need the money? Do Angie Harmon and Jay Leno believe in Lifelock, or do they need the money? Companies are trying to sell you, the consumer, a product, and companies know that celebrities help them sell their product. Celebrities are people too, and they need to make money, as well. It is up to the consumer to decide whether he/she believes the celebrity and thus the company, or if the consumer says to both the celebrity and company, "Get real!". That's part of what makes us a free country. 

Esteemed Contributor

It's ok with me if she does commercials. I thought she looked great in that PCH commercial too.  

Respected Contributor

@4kitties wrote:

Well, it is a job and she is working.  She has a large family so probably lots of tuitions to pay.

I like her but I have to say I am so very tired of hearing about her 50 pounds with NutriSystem and now the PCH...............

I think she's a disgusting human being. He son committed suicide and she was right there on stage--never missed a performance. I don't know what she was like when she was young but she's devolving into a greedy, money-worshiping old hag.

Esteemed Contributor

I enjoy watching her PCH commercials.   She looks great and has such a positive, vibrant personality.