Honored Contributor

Re: Mariah Carey wants full custody of her and Nick's twins!

"she wants him to give up his parental rights."

If that happens, he will no longer have to pay child support. 

I wonder if she will also change the twins last names to Carey?

Sounds like he didn't show up Christmas Day and/or twins did not get any presents either.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMac wrote:

"she wants him to give up his parental rights."

If that happens, he will no longer have to pay child support. 

I wonder if she will also change the twins last names to Carey?

Sounds like he didn't show up Christmas Day and/or twins did not get any presents either.

Nope.  Doesn't work like that @Mz iMac .  Of course this depends on the State, but this doesn't automatically stop child support.

The name issue is a non starter (I think) because you can change your name to anything you want if you do it legally.  

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life
Honored Contributor

@gertrudecloset  I believe MC lives in NYC.  I did a little research on NY law regarding terminating parental rights & found the following........

Terminating parental rights in New York

There are circumstances in which the best interests of a child mandate the termination of their mother’s and/or father’s parental rights. A person may do so voluntarily, which often happens when an unmarried woman gives up her baby for adoption, or one parent relinquishes their rights in order to enable the child to be adopted by a stepparent or other relative. The process can also be less than positive, such as when a parent is addicted to drugs or alcohol, dangerously unstable, negligent, or otherwise unfit to care for the child.

When a parent’s rights are terminated, they are no longer legally required to support their children financially (although any outstanding child support must still be paid), and lose any rights to visitation or custody. It is technically possible to have one’s parental rights reinstated, but only after two years, provided that the child has not been adopted and certain conditions have been met.

Grounds for involuntary termination

In New York, the legally acceptable grounds for involuntary termination of parental rights are as follows:

• The parent has intentionally abandoned the child for six months or more
  • The parent has a severe mental health disability that leaves them unable to care for the child
  • The child has experienced frequent and severe abuse at the parent’s hands
  • The child is perpetually neglected by the parent
  • The parent is incarcerated and declines to take any role in caring for the child
  • The parent was convicted of any of the following crimes in connection with their children: murder, attempted murder, involuntary manslaughter, assault, or aggravated assault

Stepparents, grandparents, foster parents and anyone else seeking to have a parent’s rights involuntarily terminated must take a series of steps that include filing a petition in the court, appointing an attorney for the children, and attending court.

Grounds for voluntary termination

The most common reason for biological parents voluntarily terminating their parental rights is to enable their child to be adopted by a stepparent or relative. New York State law, however, only permits such a move if there are acceptable grounds or an arrangement has been made for someone else to assume responsibility for the child. When a child is older than 14, their wishes must be taken into account in any adoption plan, and they are permitted to maintain a connection with their biological parents even after the latter’s parental rights have been terminated.

Termination of parental rights is intended to be a permanent arrangement, and in both voluntary and involuntary cases, careful consideration should be given to the matter before proceeding.

SOURCE:   eskinandeskinlaw.com/terminating-parental-rights-new-york/#

I doubt very seriously MC will go that route.  She probably made that comment to embarrasse Nick publicly.   Will be watching for his comment(s). 

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Esteemed Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

Seems like his only interest in his children is making them.  We need neutering for people and he's a prime candidate

We already have that, but that has to be a personal decision that many men won't make.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mz iMacgood work!!!!  I'm not sure NY is actually her primary residence.  I believe it's California and Atlanta.  I think I read where she rented a mansion to hid from Covid during the first outbreak.  She's a New Yorker, but that doesn't mean she lives there full time.

I also wonder how that would work, if she has more than one residence?  It's going to be interesting, that's for sure!

Valued Contributor

@RainCityWoman wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

Seems like his only interest in his children is making them.  We need neutering for people and he's a prime candidate

We already have that, but that has to be a personal decision that many men won't make.

He's doing this on purpose. I don't know what his reasoning is I think it's a mid life crisis and he's stuck on his own mortality.

Trusted Contributor

I just read Nick Cannon's net worth is 30 million.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BoopOMatic wrote:

I just read Nick Cannon's net worth is 30 million.

Mariah is worth a whole lot more than that!  She is likely paying him Alimony unless their was a prenup @BoopOMatic .

It is estimated that she is worth $340MM dollars.  One of the richest female vocalists of all time.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

It sounds like custody of LMP's twins will also be contested.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

I think Nick Cannon has mental issues.  It's like it's a game with him to have as many babies by as many women as he can.  He has admitted that he can't spend enough time with any of them.  Good luck, Mariah!

Oh... and these talk show people need to stop treating his baby making game so lightly when they interview him with his goofy grin.  This is not a joke for the children involved;close to being abuse, IMO.  Kids need quality time with a parent, not just financial support.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)