Honored Contributor

Margaret O'Brien, Herbert Marshall "The Secret Garden" TCM 12:30 p.m. (Noonish) Eastern

12:30 p.m. Eastern--  "The Secret Garden"--  Charming story of orphan Margaret O'Brien coming to live at her embittered uncle's manor in the English countryside. It's a sad household, with an invalid cousin who's not exactly someone for a lonely orphan to buddy up with.

Exploring and playing with a little boy related to one of the servants, Margaret discovers a walled-off garden in sad neglect.  The pair determine to restore it to its former beauty, and a transformation slowly works itself on household and garden alike...

Simple, lovely, uplifting tale, with the usual roster of deft vintage actors, including the irreplaceable Herbert Marshall, and a very young Dean Stockwell.

Honored Contributor

Re: Margaret O'Brien, Herbert Marshall "The Secret Garden" TCM 12:30 p.m. (Noonish) Easter

DH has is marked to watch today. (We’re watching Stars in my Crown). Thanks for your overviews for these movies.

Honored Contributor

Re: Margaret O'Brien, Herbert Marshall "The Secret Garden" TCM 12:30 p.m. (Noonish) Easter

Today is Dean Stockwell day. He and Margaret O'Brien were two busy children.

And the Secret Garden is well worth watching. To see these two remarkable children.

Respected Contributor

I have always thought Margeret O'Brien was the best child actor ...

good little actress and sooo cute ... loved her in Meet Me In St. Louis ....

The Secret Garden was one of my favorite books as a child ....

Honored Contributor

I read and reread the book many times as a kid.  As I recall I was disappointed in the movie.

Honored Contributor

@Big Joaniewrote:

I have always thought Margeret O'Brien was the best child actor ...

good little actress and sooo cute ... loved her in Meet Me In St. Louis ....

The Secret Garden was one of my favorite books as a child ....

@Big Joanie, by chance did you read The Magic Garden as a child?  This thread got me to thinking about that story.

Respected Contributor

No .. that one doesn't ring a bell ....

Respected Contributor

I had it marked to watch. A favorite of mine.

Super Contributor

Thank you so much for suggesting this movie. I never watch  TCM and can't believe I missed this thru the years. Don't ever remember it alto I didn't get to go to  many movies in my younger days. I'm going to keep track of what all is on.

Thanks so much.

Honored Contributor

@Oznellwrote:

12:30 p.m. Eastern--  "The Secret Garden"--  Charming story of orphan Margaret O'Brien coming to live at her embittered uncle's manor in the English countryside. It's a sad household, with an invalid cousin who's not exactly someone for a lonely orphan to buddy up with.

Exploring and playing with a little boy related to one of the servants, Margaret discovers a walled-off garden in sad neglect.  The pair determine to restore it to its former beauty, and a transformation slowly works itself on household and garden alike...

Simple, lovely, uplifting tale, with the usual roster of deft vintage actors, including the irreplaceable Herbert Marshall, and a very young Dean Stockwell.

I thought the movie lived up to the book. I think. Dean Stockwell was the cutest kid. He really changed as an adult. Good little actor. I saw a  newer version one day, but don't know how new it was. English, I think.