Honored Contributor

Okay, so what's up with the man of the cloth, he is hiding something about his past. He didn't answer the door when Mare rang the bell, and wasn't he the one that threw the bicycle off the bridge and into the water? He may just be a red herring, but who knows.

Trusted Contributor

@Jordan2  He was the one who though the bicycle over the bridge.  Interesting for sure. Perhaps she went to see him after she was assaulted and beaten. 

Really stupid for Mare to plant the drugs in the mother of her grandsons car. 
I bet she will still work on the case. She appears to be someone who just does what she wants and does not think about the consequences. 

I thought it was another great episode. 

This show and Cruel Summer on Freeform are keeping me entertained for 2 hours a week. Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

Re: Mare Of Easttown On HBO

[ Edited ]

On the whole, I thought the 5/2 episode was good. However, I think there were problems with the writing concerning Mare's character development.

IMO, more of Mare's emotions over the possibility of losing her grandson or her animosity over her grandson's mother needed to be written & shown (maybe unable to sleep, crying, looking at his picture, etc. or maybe tearing up pictures of his mother/flashbacks remembering terrible behaviors his mother had while high or something) in order for Mare to be so motivated as to plant drugs on her grandson's mother.

Mare's supposedly a strong & respected detective, so for her to foolishly take the drugs out of the station and change the log book with such an obvious risk of getting caught doesn't make sense to me.

And then there was her relationship with her mother. Mare's furious with her mother for communicating with a woman about custody issues, but a little while later Mare relates to her mother as if nothing happened. - That showed me that either Mare didn't care that much about keeping her grandson, or it was another inconsistency in the development of Mare's character. What happened to her anger? I think if Mare had pent-up emotions over her grandson & son, she would have had her mother move out for interfering in the custody case.

To finally conclude, I was a little disappointed in the 5/2 episode after the earlier ones but I like the series' other good points & will keep watching.

Honored Contributor

@Desert Lily I agree with your comments about Mare planting the drugs in the car.  She's too good a detective to not know someone would get to the bottom of the marked packets and missing inventory.

Esteemed Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

Okay, so what's up with the man of the cloth, he is hiding something about his past. He didn't answer the door when Mare rang the bell, and wasn't he the one that threw the bicycle off the bridge and into the water? He may just be a red herring, but who knows.

Agree with you , what's this all abt. The plot seems pretty complicated with so many complex interpersonal relationships . I'm trying to keep them clear in my head ......

Could he be the Father ? Could he have gotten the dead girl to lie abt who was the Father of her child ?

Esteemed Contributor

@Desert Lily wrote:

On the whole, I thought the 5/2 episode was good. However, I think there were problems with the writing concerning Mare's character development.

IMO, more of Mare's emotions over the possibility of losing her grandson or her animosity over her grandson's mother needed to be written & shown (maybe unable to sleep, crying, looking at his picture, etc. or maybe tearing up pictures of his mother/flashbacks remembering terrible behaviors his mother had while high or something) in order for Mare to be so motivated as to plant drugs on her grandson's mother.

Mare's supposedly a strong & respected detective, so for her to foolishly take the drugs out of the station and change the log book with such an obvious risk of getting caught doesn't make sense to me.

And then there was her relationship with her mother. Mare's furious with her mother for communicating with a woman about custody issues, but a little while later Mare relates to her mother as if nothing happened. - That showed me that either Mare didn't care that much about keeping her grandson, or it was another inconsistency in the development of Mare's character. What happened to her anger? I think if Mare had pent-up emotions over her grandson & son, she would have had her mother move out for interfering in the custody case.

To finally conclude, I was a little disappointed in the 5/2 episode after the earlier ones but I like the series' other good points & will keep watching.

Agree, the writers seem to have thrown in everything including the kitchen sink . I think planting drugs was a bit out of character for Mare but she did  have intimate relations  with actor Guy Pearce after juts meeting him in a bar, so  seems she has some impulsivity issues.  All the interpersonal relation ships are complex and over lapping . Maybe  to complex  . I'll keep watching  .I think there is more  we are going to learn  abt Mare's past . What's the story on her relationship with her dead son ?

Esteemed Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

The name of the show throws me off.  It makes me think of horses since Easttown Township PA is home of the Devon Horse Show and is, generally, in horsey country.

@ValuSkr  Sometimes show titles and character names go through a few phases before the final names are selected.  Maybe the producers were going for some wink wink humor in naming the main character and show after deciding to film the show in a region known for its equine activities.Woman Wink   

Honored Contributor

What a shock, Mare's working the case even though she is suspended! The ending kind of didn't surprise me,  this is getting GOOD!

Trusted Contributor

Another good episode. I too was not surprised Mare was working the case. My heart broke for Katie's mother that she was set up like that. I'm sure most parents would want to believe it was real. 

I wonder if the 3 cases are related. It is clear two are but not so sure of the murder of Erin. 

I have to add many of the young people in this series are horrible humans. The way they talk to their parents and adults is appalling to say the least. 

Next weeks episode looks good.  I still have no idea who could be the person behind all the missing girls and who killed Erin. 

Respected Contributor

Love the show. I would love to give Mare a comb. Jean Smart has been playing some great characters, in several shows, this past year.