Respected Contributor

Manifest may be resurrected for a fourth season as both NBC AND Netflix resume talks with Warner Bros. TV

Just over a month after NBC canceled Manifest and Netflix passed on reviving the show, a fourth season may actually happen.

The series, which stars Melissa Roxburgh and Josh Dallas, was canceled on June 14, just four days after the Season 3 finale aired, with Netflix passing on reviving the show just a week later.

Now the tables have seemingly turned in Manifest's favor, with both NBC AND Netflix both in talks with Manifest producer Warner Bros. Television, via Deadline.

NBC's reinvigorated interest in the show comes as fans have launched a #SaveManifest campaign on social media, but also as the network has faced a sudden deficiency in their lineup.

The network's planned Season 5 renewal of their hit drama series Good Girls fell through at the last moment due to cast issues, with the network revealing officially on June 25 that the show won't be back.

Their planned Law & Order spin-off Law & Order: For the Defense was also taken off the fall schedule last week, with the show not moving forward at all.

With these two new holes in their schedule (and freed up money in their budget), NBC is believed to have reinstated renewal talks.

Of the network's four 'bubble' shows - along with Good Girls, Zoey's Extraordinary Playlist and Debris, which were all canceled - Manifest had by far the highest ratings, particularly in total viewers.

At the same time, viewership of the first two seasons on Netflix have surged, with the show holding fast in the streaming service's daily top 10 for a month, while also topping the Nielsen streaming ratings.

Still, nothing is official yet, and there may be complications for Netflix, which typically acquires global rights to their shows, and Manifest has already been sold internationally, market-by-market.

It's worth noting that Warner Bros. TV did manage to avoid these issues to resurrect Lucifer on Netflix from Fox, so there is said to be a 'path' to a deal happening.

Manifest was created by Jeff Rake (The Mysteries of Laura), following an airplane that went missing for five years which suddenly returns with all of its passengers intact.

Honored Contributor

Re: Manifest may be resurrected

So in other words, they'll bring back a marginal show because they can't come up with anything else... And such is the state of American network television... 

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Respected Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

So in other words, they'll bring back a marginal show because they can't come up with anything else... And such is the state of American network television... 

@stevieb   That about sums it up. Sad, isn't it.

I watched the first few episodes and gave up. I couldn't get past the bad acting of the lead actress. 

I guess bringing back a marginal show is better than being subjected to another reality show,

Esteemed Contributor

The series left a lot of mysteries hanging last year. Like the writers didn't know what was going to happen. 
  I hate it when shows are on streaming or other channels,  after being on a regular channel. My DVR won't pick it up.  I never resume watching especially if I have to pay more! 

Honored Contributor

@lmt 

Thanks for this info. I would like to see this show return. Hate to get my hopes up, though, after resigning myself to it being canceled. 

Honored Contributor

Like I said in another thread, I just need an ending with things explained even if it's not the best one. 

Trusted Contributor

I already deleted the episodes I hadn't watched. One of the things I liked about this show is that it used fairly unknown actors. It felt like it was about much more than just one star. 

Honored Contributor

I hope it comes back!  Even if it's just for one more year to give give us an ending.  Loyal fans deserve that.  And it was a great show, if you like Sci fi.

Esteemed Contributor

I like Sci Fi, and I followed Manifest from the first season.  So I'd like to see a wrap-up of the threads that were all left dangling.  I know it wasn't great literature, but I'd still like to see an ending.  Sounds hopeful.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

I also would like to see it come back for a final season to wrap things up.  If they aren't going to wrap it up, don't bother.   Unless I read that is what they plan, I don't know that I will invest my time just to be left hanging when it is canceled again.