Honored Contributor

Manhunt is a 7 episode series on AppleTV starring Tobias Menzies, Anthony Boyle, Hamish Linklater, Patton Oswald, and Lili Taylor.  "The aftermath of the first American presidential assassination and the fight to preserve and protect the ideals that were the foundation of Lincoln's Reconstruction plans". I have watched 4 episodes so far. It's a nice change of pace from the risqué and criminal series I watch, I know this won't be for everyone. 

Honored Contributor

I guess I'm the only one watching this!

Esteemed Contributor

We watched it and enjoyed it. Although I'm pretty well versed about the assassination and its aftermath, there were still a couple of things I learned ( such as the Confederate - Canadian connect and the extent that Jefferson Davis was involved in the plot.

Honored Contributor

@Jordan2 ,  I heard a bit of the interview on C-SPAN with James Swanson, the author of the book, "Manhunt",  that this is based on.  I think it's the same engrossing book about this historical episode that I read when it came out, around 2007.

I can see why you like the series.  Have always been fascinated by those horrible events that took out the great Abe Lincoln, and then the galvanizing of law enforcement and the determined search for his assassin.

Swanson was totally steeped in the assassination, and the subsequent chase, and was riveting, sketching out the different personalities and motives involved.

One of the most dramatic, fateful periods in American history.   "Manhunt" sounds like it would be a great watch. 

Trusted Contributor

@Jordan2 wrote:

Manhunt is a 7 episode series on AppleTV starring Tobias Menzies, Anthony Boyle, Hamish Linklater, Patton Oswald, and Lili Taylor.  "The aftermath of the first American presidential assassination and the fight to preserve and protect the ideals that were the foundation of Lincoln's Reconstruction plans". I have watched 4 episodes so far. It's a nice change of pace from the risqué and criminal series I watch, I know this won't be for everyone. 

The book (mentioned here by another poster) was great. An easy and fascinating histioric account of the J Wilkes Booth manhunt. If you liked the series you may well like the book.

I'll catch the series. Thanks for the heads up.