Esteemed Contributor

Manchurian Candidate Movies- 1962 version vs 2004

Which version of the movies "  The Manchurian Candidate "  did you prefer .

The original movie from 1962  with Frank Sinatra,  Laurence Harvey, Angela Landsbury  and Janet Leigh .  " The movie was selected in 1994 for preservation in the US National Film Registry by the Library of Congress as being culturally, historically, aesthetically significant. "

"The plot centers on Korean War veteran Raymond Shaw, part of a prominent political family. Shaw is Brainwashed by communists after his Army platoon is captured. He returns to civilian life in the United States, where he becomes an unwitting assassin in an international communist conspiracy. "    per Wikipedia

The 2004 version with Denzel Washington, Meryl Streep, Liev Schreiber, Jon Voight, . the story line is changed as  Denzel Washington and Liev Schribier play Gulf War Veterans . There are many other changes to the storyline when compared to the original movie .

With so many plot changes , should the 2004 movie be called a remake ?

If you've viwed both movies which do you prefer?

In many ways, I do prefer the version with Denzel Washington .

Respected Contributor

Re: Manchurian Candidate Movies- 1962 version vs 2004

In my opinion, there's no comparison.  It's the 1962 version and always will be.  The cast, the plot and the outcome are superior and I say that knowing that the cast in the later version has some of my all time favorite actors/actresses too.  

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

In my opinion, there's no comparison.  It's the 1962 version and always will be.  The cast, the plot and the outcome are superior and I say that knowing that the cast in the later version has some of my all time favorite actors/actresses too.  

@RoughDraft    Oh!   I totally agree with you.   di

♥Surface of the Sun♥
Trusted Contributor

This is one of the movies that I would never be interested in watching a remake.

Just rewatched the original....so scary, creepy and so good!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

1962 version is the best. All the actors are great. I think Laurence Harvey is fabulous.

So is Frank SInatra. But there is nothing wrong w/the 2004 version,but as Mama Cass says,"the original is still the greatest".

How could I forget Angela Lansbury? Now that is REALLY creepy.

When I lose the TV controller, it's always in some remote destination.
Trusted Contributor

I have never seen either version of this movie, but it seems I should make it a point to watch!

Honored Contributor

@JamandBread  Strongly suggest that you watch the "original" first!

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Trusted Contributor

@Desertdi wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

@RoughDraft    Oh!   I totally agree with you.   di

I agree too.  I saw the original when it first came out.  It had so much atmosphere, and still does.  I always liked Laurence Harvey, too, so that is another reason I like it better.

Respected Contributor

Boy, it's a tough call. I love both movies. Each is good in their own way.

Angela Lansbury was so evil. She really nailed the role. I think she was so much better in the 'evil mother' role than Meryl Streep.

Laurence Harvey was superb as Raymond Shaw, but I think Liev Schreiber was a bit better in the role. As for Major Marco, Frank Sinatra was better in the riole than Denzel Washington.

I guess if I had to pick between the two, I would go with the 2004 movie. 

Esteemed Contributor

I'm going to have to watch them both back to back as many good points made in favor of the 1962  movie.