Valued Contributor

@granddi wrote:

Just my opinion but I did not see an Oscar worthy film.

The story is nothing new. The acting was good but not to the level of Oscar winner. The flashbacks were poorly excuted. Of course it is a downer but it left us disappointed in the main character no matter what his past issues were. 

Me neither..to me it was just like a Hallmark Movie..my husband & I are wondering why the other brother & his wife, who lived in Minnesota, never showed...also NOTHING was resolved, except Lee getting a new job in a new town..why did George adopt the kid, instead of fostering him or being his guardian...bizarre, for sure...

can you tell I am a LaLaLand fan? 😊

Valued Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

@NativeJax wrote:
It was very good but it was depressing. I thought the actor who played the nephew was superb!

I didn't find it all that depressing.

I thing the kid was a brat...not sure what either girl saw in him

Valued Contributor

@granddi wrote:

Just my opinion but I did not see an Oscar worthy film.

The story is nothing new. The acting was good but not to the level of Oscar winner. The flashbacks were poorly excuted. Of course it is a downer but it left us disappointed in the main character no matter what his past issues were. 

Agree! To me it was like a Hallmark movie..my husband & I couldn't figure out why the other brother & his wife,from Minnesota, never showed...the only thing that came of it all was Lee relocating with a new job...and why did George adopt the nephew, not fostering him or being his guardian? Agree terrible flashbacks..

Honored Contributor

Re: Manchester By The Sea

[ Edited ]

@winamac1 wrote:

I liked the movie a great deal.  That being said, Denzel deserves the Oscar and I think Casey will get it!

I disagree. I honestly don't know if I'd say any of the performances were truly outstanding but given one of them had to win, I don't think it should necessarily have been Denzel Washington and I was sort of glad to see Affleck win. On top of that, I thought DW's sour reaction to losing was a huge turn-off. It was a horse race between these two all throughout awards season, with each of them winning some and losing some.

As for the best picture options, I don't know, but it seemed to me it was a pretty weak field this year. I think the same could be said for a number of the acting categories, based on the material they had to work with.

In my pantry with my cupcakes...
Honored Contributor

@stevieb wrote:

@winamac1 wrote:

I liked the movie a great deal.  That being said, Denzel deserves the Oscar and I think Casey will get it!

I disagree. I honestly don't know if I'd say any of the performances were truly outstanding but given one of them had to win, I don't think it should necessarily have been Denzel Washington and I was sort of glad to see Affleck win. On top of that, I thought DW's sour reaction to losing was a huge turn-off. It was a horse race between these two all throughout awards season, with each of them winning some and losing some.

As for the best picture options, I don't know, but it seemed to me it was a pretty weak field this year. I think the same could be said for a number of the acting categories, based on the material they had to work with.

I don't think he had a sour reaction at all.

He had the same reaction when his name was announced as one of the best actors that night when they were showing small bit portions of each film.  His expression did not changed.

On this one Stevie, we can agree to disagree.  I do think Casey A. was fabulous, but I felt Denzel was even more fabulous.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"