Honored Contributor

Re: Mamma Mia- anyone see it? SPOILERS

I am going next week to see it.  I loved the stage verison and the first movie.  It want to see in the theater because of the great sound system.  

Respected Contributor

@Alter Ego wrote:

@Shelbelle wrote:

Cher playing Streep's mother is ridiculous, Cher is early 70's, Streep is close to 70. Casting agent must have been drunk!! I cant believe Cher consented to doing this.

What’s ridiculous was the casting in the first movie.  Sophie was 20 and Donna had her out of college (think 21-22).  That was one of the issues with it - the adult characters were already 15-20 years older than the parts they were playing. Cher is the perfect age for Sophie’s grandmother, assuming Donna’s proper age.

I read that Cher was originally offered Christine Baranski’s part but turned it down. Think it said the character was too much like her. Regardless of the fact that I love Christine B in the role, I don’t understand why they went so old with the actors.  I’m sure there are/were enough 40’ish actors with big names for the roles. Singing ability was clearly not necessary.

I remember when the first "Mamma Mia" movie came out, Meryl Streep mentioned in several interviews that even she thought she was "too old" to play the role of Donna, but the writer and exec producer really wanted Meryl. 

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Respected Contributor

@puttypiesmom wrote:

I'm probably the only one who never saw the first mama mia movie and just never thought it was appealing to see Streep in overalls singing from a studio, with help to make her able to carry a tune throughout an entire song.  I would have seen the broadway production though and enjoyed that.  Don't like dubbed over singing and hate overalls, oh and never a big fan of Abba.  Mama Mia 2 sounds interesting only because Cher is in it and can really sing.  

But if you were "never a big fan of Abba," you wouldn't have liked the Broadway production, either, because "Mamma Mia" is based on Abba's music.  It's a huge part of the story for both the play and the movie.

♥ Life is beauty full ♥
Honored Contributor

@mimilucy wrote:

It really has gotten a number of poor reviews. I will wait til it hits cable.

Really?  I've only read good reviews of it.

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Cher playing Streep's mother is ridiculous, Cher is early 70's, Streep is close to 70. Casting agent must have been drunk!! I cant believe Cher consented to doing this.

@Shelbelle  The review I read yesterday said Cher is three yrs. older than Streep. 

Reminds me of how Angela Lansbury was only a few years older than Lawrence Harvey when she played his evil mother in The Manchurian Candidate.  She pulled that off fine!

Respected Contributor

Are there no more creative minds in the movie industry?  If it weren't  for sequels the number of movies produced would be miniscule.  

Honored Contributor

Just got back from seeing it. I enjoyed it, it's fun escapism. It's very touching and was emotional for me since I recently lost my Mom. She loved Pierce Brosnan and we went to see the first one together.

The song at the end between Amanda and Meryl was a real tearjerker for me.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Respected Contributor

I also just got back from seeing the movie, and completely agree with you, Greeneyedlady.  I lost my Mom in 2002, and that last baptismal scene between Amanda Seifried and Meryl Streep was a serious tearjerker for me, too.  Other than that, the movie was lots of fun, I really enjoyed it, and most especially all the scenes showing performances of "Donna & the Dynamoes", both the younger and older groups!

Esteemed Contributor

Just got in from seeing it. Five of us ladies. It's not going to win any Academy Awards and it was a tad boring here and there but all in all we enjoyed it a lot. It was great seeing so many of the cast members from the original movie and what's not to like about ABBA music! We did some dancing in our seats and some singing along. Quietly of course, even though there weren't a whole lot of others in the theatre for that show we could hear some of them singing along as well. And none of us 5 ladies are spring chickens. Hey just seeing Andy Garcia was worth the price of admission! If you haven't gone yet but plan to DON'T leave until the credits have rolled. One of the funniest scenes is at the end. For those who have seen it and waited through the end I'm talking about the guy in the booth at the boat dock. OMG he was hysterical in that last scene. I almost headed for the ladies room as soon as the credits started rolling but my one friend who was seeing it for the second time said "NO YOU CAN'T LEAVE YET"....that's what she didn't want me to miss.

Honored Contributor

Will it win awards? NO - was it fun and campy Yes - was Cher miscast heck yeah

Lily James was fab as the younger Donna along with the 3 young men. 

The costumes for the younger Donna and company were great - the ones for Cher and rest of the cast were all over the place -