Respected Contributor

Re: Mamma Mia- anyone see it? SPOILERS

Whether you like MaMa Mia or not, it made in excess of $600 million dollars world wide.  It was a huge hit.  The new version received good reviews.  It will make a lot of money also.  I thought the original was charming and happy.  They certainly cast superb actors.

Respected Contributor

My DH and I loved it.  So much fun.  The young actors were terrific.

Super Contributor

Didn't like the first one (which I saw only when it came out on cable), so have no intentions of seeing this one.  

Respected Contributor

“Younger Version” actors amazingly resembled others and displayed true talent. Would have enjoyed more from Cher but so tickled to hear and see her.
Trusted Contributor

The Dallas Morning News gave this a "B" grade.  As they are quite stingy with their ratings, this is actually quite a good grade from them. 

Trusted Contributor

Just saw it today and loved it.  I also loved the first one.  It is a lot of fun.  Also bring kleenex there is a very touching part near the end and I had tears rolling down my cheek and the woman behind me was sobbing.  Would really recommend it.

Respected Contributor

I think Hollywood has lost its creativity.  There are so many sequels or re-done movies, it seems that not much is fresh.    I'll wait to see it on Amazon or Netflix.......maybe.  

Honored Contributor

It was cute and sweet a grat way to spend a Summer evening

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

A group of my gal friends went last weekend and did not like it at all - waste of money. I'm sure glad I passed on that outing.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I thought it was really cute! I dragged DH to see it on our anniversary. He wasn't too thrilled about going, but he went because I wanted to go. It's better than seeing What Lies Beneath on your anniversary! Smiley Wink

I saw the first one by myself in a theatre filled with ABBA groupies of both sexes. They were (we were) singing and dancing in the aisles. It was so much fun! DH hadn't seen it, and he had some trouble with the story lines.

I thought Lily James was great as young Donna. I agree with those of you who said Donna should have been played by a singer in her late 30's or early 40's in the first movie - maybe Madonna, Kristen Chenowith, Meg Ryan, or Julia Roberts, just to name a few IMHO! 

Who else do you think could have played Donna?

ETA: According to IMDB the producers considered Olivia Newton John and Michelle Pfeiffer.

And I'll see anything with Pierce Brosnan in it! Heart

So who do you think Sophie's father is? At the end of the first movie I thought it was Harry. In this movie she seems closest to Sam, but I still think it's Harry.

Cher handpicked Andy Garcia for the role of Fernando from a list of selected actors. 

Spoiler
According to IMDB Fernando is supposed to be Donna's father/Sophie's grandfather!