Contributor

Re: Mamma Mia- anyone see it? SPOILERS

I saw it today and disagree with the reviews.  I loved seeing all the characters again.  I loved the 3 men who played the younger versions of the 3 dads.  They were great.  The actress that played the young Donna had a wonderful singing voice.  The music was great and I thought Cher was fine in the part she played.  It's not a very big part but she sounded great.  It was a lot of fun and to me captured the feelings of the original.  The other people in the theatre seemed to enjoy it too - they were singing, laughing and actually clapped at the end.  

Valued Contributor

We saw it this evening with our son & his family..we all enjoyed it very much! Not just the ABBA music..Cher looks & sounds fabulous..no spoilers, great movie! 

Valued Contributor

@Mary Bailey, I bet your Mom loves it! Have fun with her & your sisters! 

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I saw it today and loved it!  It was touching and more melodramatic than the first one, which I also enjoyed very much but think I liked this one even more. Of course I adored ABBA music growing up so that helped my enjoyment of it.  I especially liked the last 10 minutes.  It was a very nice way to spend 2 hours on a Saturday afternoon and get out of the 110 degree weather we had today in Irving, TX.

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

Cher playing Streep's mother is ridiculous, Cher is early 70's, Streep is close to 70. Casting agent must have been drunk!! I cant believe Cher consented to doing this.

I was wondering about that myself!  Cher is 72 and Meryl is 69.  It is ridiculous!

I'm planning on seeing it with a friend later this week.  We'll do lunch first and it will be a nice afternoon....hopefully the movie isn't too bad.

Trusted Contributor

I'm probably the only one who never saw the first mama mia movie and just never thought it was appealing to see Streep in overalls singing from a studio, with help to make her able to carry a tune throughout an entire song.  I would have seen the broadway production though and enjoyed that.  Don't like dubbed over singing and hate overalls, oh and never a big fan of Abba.  Mama Mia 2 sounds interesting only because Cher is in it and can really sing.  

Honored Contributor

Yuck. I would never spend money to see this! Woman Frustrated

"Pure Michigan"
Esteemed Contributor

My girlfriend  asked me to go see it with her since her hubby doesn't like 'chick flicks'......

Neither of us cared for it....

Esteemed Contributor

I will wait until it comes out on dvd.

Saw it on Broadway two times and loved it so much.

Have the first one on dvd and maybe will watch it this week.

Got my daughter into ABBA's music and now she enjoys it too.

Honored Contributor

I just read that Cher was delighted to play this role, she and Streep are good friends since thry made Silkwood together in 1983. But, certainly in Silkwood they were not mother and daughter.