Honored Contributor

@manny2 wrote:

This family has been exploited by the network, media, and social media. I feel so sorry for all of them especially Alana. She is a child, and her weight should not be subject to discussion, and she should not be described as "fat".

Overweight people are the only form of discrimination that we allow openly in this country. We have to change that sooner rather then later. Calling someone "fat" is hurtful and damaging.

Manny - I'm sorry.  I didn't mean to offend anybody.  I didn't even know that 'fat' was a dirty word.  I thought it just described the scenario.

Heck, over a number of years I gained some 30# and called myself a big fat hog.  Now, I wouldn't say anything like that to anybody else because I think that IS rude.  But I hated it and was terribly embarrassed.  I didn't want anybody to see me.

Then, a few years ago, I started losing weight for no reason at all.  I decided to capitalize on that and worked it off so that I wasn't any longer embarrassed about myself.   But, hey, I was fat and I just called it what it was.   

I wish anybody well who struggles with weight. It's awful and I can't even imagine being even more heavy than I was.   I feel sorry for the child, who doesn't seem to have much in the way of positive role models.  She will struggle.

Honored Contributor

I call people like her who  date known child offenders 

TRASH.

Honored Contributor

I've seen a recent show and Honey Boo Boo's sister is trying to help her develop a better eating plan. Her dad has diabetes and has been in a diabetic coma several times. Her grandma had it as well and died because of it. I'd be more worried about health concerns than anything else.

Respected Contributor

Alana is 15 now and her doctor would probably call her obese, instead of fat. She needs help to regain a healthy weight and lifestyle. Her mother and other members of her family won't/can't help her. They might like the publicity a little too much. If she is truely happy, then leave her be as long as she knows she might have many health issues, as the years go bye.

Respected Contributor

I saw the show where she admitted to wasting over half a million on Cocaine.  She's had many opportunities to improve her life.  She needs guidance for sure. 

Honored Contributor

@10sluvr wrote:

Alana is 15 now and her doctor would probably call her obese, instead of fat. She needs help to regain a healthy weight and lifestyle. Her mother and other members of her family won't/can't help her. They might like the publicity a little too much. If she is truely happy, then leave her be as long as she knows she might have many health issues, as the years go bye.

@10sluvr  With regard to your last sentence she is still a minor and therefore not competent yet to make her own decisions about her health.

Honored Contributor

This family has a multitude of serious issues...the last place they should  be is on TV.

I think Reality TV is addicting to the people that are on there. They pop up on different shows that hire them.

Mama June is no upstanding mother for sure. I personally feel sorry for her kids. 

Esteemed Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I call people like her who  date known child offenders 

TRASH.

@SeaMaidenI agree with you it is beyond disturbing. I think this family needs intervention, and not a reality show.

Respected Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

@10sluvr wrote:

@10sluvr  With regard to your last sentence she is still a minor and therefore not competent yet to make her own decisions about her health.

at 15, she is competent to make better food choices. I bet she understands what overeating/bad food choices, does to a body, more than most kids her age.

i agree, she's minor but she would be choosing an apple over a candy bar. do you really think someone should be making that decision, for her, because she's  only 15?

Esteemed Contributor

@manny2 wrote:

This family has been exploited by the network, media, and social media. I feel so sorry for all of them especially Alana. She is a child, and her weight should not be subject to discussion, and she should not be described as "fat".

Overweight people are the only form of discrimination that we allow openly in this country. We have to change that sooner rather then later. Calling someone "fat" is hurtful and damaging.

I don't think I agree with the "exploitation" part.  They chose to make this a money making endeavor.  They don't do reality tv and not get paid.  Since it was a fairly well watched show, I'm sure she made more and more with each new season.  That's not exploitation; that's called getting paid.

While you're busy thinking being overweight is the only in your face form of discrimination in this country, tell that to people who are not obese and suffer at cruelty for not being like that status quo.  Tell that to the LGBTQ+ community are opening antagonized in this country and many more groups.  This is not an example of "otherism."  Matter of fact haven't you heard of the body positivity movement?

A Negative Mind ~ Will give you a Negative Life