Honored Contributor

Re: Mama June is now a size 12. Wow

My opinion is that the way June Shannon's weight loss has been reported by the media, has only contributed to the confusion about her current size.  Her name is really out there with her extreme weight loss, but because the network wants a big reveal on her new body, only old pictures are being shown, and some of them go back 4+ years.   Everyone has heard about her extreme weight loss, but the visual pictures we are seeing in these storylines are not supporting what we're hearing.   

I do not think June's weight was over 400 lbs when she started her weight loss efforts.  I think the 460 lb number was her heaviest weight ever.  I do not think June was even 400 lbs when she was filming the first TV show.  The episodes we are watching now, were filmed last year during the start of her journey.   June has reached her goal already, and her big surgeries are complete.   Sugar Bear and Jennifer were married last October.  

Respected Contributor

I can't understand why there is still so much interest in this family, perhaps it won't go on and on after we see June's new size.  I have watched the other shows where the participants have weight loss surgery and it was said that only 5% actually keep the lost weight off.  

Respected Contributor

Did she use her kids' trust fund money to do this?

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

June has improved on her health and her looks. I am concerned that her youngest daughter is very unhealthy looking.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

Commenting on nothing except her weightloss, yes, she does look better. I don't think we will see the size 4 until the final reveal.  But she certainly has made progress.  

Honored Contributor

@pommom wrote:

Did she use her kids' trust fund money to do this?

Is that what she said? That she put money in a trust fund for her kids? Anyway, I'm sure WE (is that the channel) paid for it. Just like TLC does for their shows.

Respected Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ

Her kids were on Dr. Phil/Dr. Oz at separate times lamenting the fact that they had no money in their trust funds to go to college, buy a house, etc.  This was a couple of years ago after the show shut down.  Sure hope she replaced it, just don't know how given the circumstances.  The oldest daughter looked sad throughout the taping.

I agree that TLC probably paid for the surgeries.

If your face brightens when you meet a friend, you have struck gold. - unknown
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

The family makes plenty on the shows and repeats.  Doubt if they would have the nice new home if it weren't for the show.  Does June or her daughter work?

Judging from the way she still devours food here and there it's doubtful she will keep it off.  But she will still look better as long as she is well below her highest weight. If I were June I would be just as concerned for her two daughters as herself.

Honored Contributor

@HiLo wrote:

The family makes plenty on the shows and repeats.  Doubt if they would have the nice new home if it weren't for the show.  Does June or her daughter work?

Judging from the way she still devours food here and there it's doubtful she will keep it off.  But she will still look better as long as she is well below her highest weight. If I were June I would be just as concerned for her two daughters as herself.

I don't think anyone in that family works. The only one that makes money is Mama June and Sugar Bear. Not sure if Pumpkin(is that her name) is still in school. They don't get money until they are 18. Mama gets it all and may "say" she puts in in trust funds, but I doubt it. Child labor laws don't apply to reality tv. That's why the daughter on Dr. Phil is so mad. She got nothing.

Mama really looks like a different person and for the better. However, she will not maintain her wait IMO.

Esteemed Contributor

@proudlyfromNJ wrote:

@HiLo wrote:

I don't think anyone in that family works. The only one that makes money is Mama June and Sugar Bear. Not sure if Pumpkin(is that her name) is still in school. They don't get money until they are 18. Mama gets it all and may "say" she puts in in trust funds, but I doubt it. Child labor laws don't apply to reality tv. That's why the daughter on Dr. Phil is so mad. She got nothing.

Mama really looks like a different person and for the better. However, she will not maintain her wait IMO.

Do you know what state they film in?  Curious what laws are in place where they film.