Valued Contributor

Is anyone else watching Making the Cut, with Tim Gunn and Heidi Klum on Amazon? I am not enjoying it.  I just don't like any if it. I love Project Runway, and also enjoy Next In Fashion on Netflix, but just can't get into MTC.

Are you watching?  What do you think of the show?

Respected Contributor

Re: Making the Cut

[ Edited ]

I’m enjoying Next in Fashion and have been liking the latest PR, so thanks for the review. What is it you’re not liking? I haven’t read about the format, just know the hosts of course.

Valued Contributor

@tucsongal wrote:

I’m enjoying Next in Fashion and have been liking the latest PR, so thanks for the review. What is it you’re not liking? I haven’t read about the format, just know the hosts of course.

Things I don't like about it:

#1 All the contestants are already designers who work in the fashion industry 
#2 Contestants do not sew their designs. They have off-screen seamstresses that do the sewing

#3 They travel to several different Countries to compete. I don't find that it adds anything to the show for them to do that.

#4 Tim & Heidi are shown doing silly things together, which has nothing to do with fashion. i.e. One episode shows them in a fencing competition, another episode has them playing a virtual reality game.

The entire show is just a big snooze for me. I am very disappointed. I had so been looking forward to the show.

Respected Contributor

@Ladylaughsalot wrote:

@tucsongal wrote:

Things I don't like about it:

#1 All the contestants are already designers who work in the fashion industry 
#2 Contestants do not sew their designs. They have off-screen seamstresses that do the sewing

#3 They travel to several different Countries to compete. I don't find that it adds anything to the show for them to do that.

#4 Tim & Heidi are shown doing silly things together, which has nothing to do with fashion. i.e. One episode shows them in a fencing competition, another episode has them playing a virtual reality game.

The entire show is just a big snooze for me. I am very disappointed. I had so been looking forward to the show.

———————

Thanks for the review, this may be a pass for me.

Honored Contributor

Nope. I love Tim Gunn but got sick of Klum years ago and stopped watching PR after about 5 years.

Trusted Contributor

Based on the responses I guess I'm in the minority but I am enjoying the show.

I like it because of:

- No brand promotions, so tired of Tresemme Hair Salon, Maybelline Makeup Studio, etc.

- Bigger budgets and more time to make the clothes

- While at first I wasn't sure about the seamstresses, I think it makes it more like the real world and I like that.  As they say, it's not a sewing competition

- Locations - I think the runways have been beautiful, much nicer than anything on PR

- I like how they always have to do two looks, nice to see the runway vs accessible looks

The Tim and Heidi stuff is silly and forced.  While I like Tim, I think that Christain is a much better mentor.

It doesn't bother me that the contestants are working designers.  The whole point of the show is to take someone's brand to the next level, not to discover a newbie.  I'm glad it's not a duplicate of PR.

Honored Contributor

Are you still watching it? 
I miss the old PR. 

Honored Contributor

I've watched some of it. Not a fan of releasing so many episodes at once. It doesn't feel like as much of an event.

I like it okay. Prefer Project Runway. The challenges are interesting and somewhat glamorous which is fun to watch.

One thing about it. I think that at the end of the day, Amazon probably has a big say in who wins each episode because they will have to produce and sell the accessible look each time. I think the winner really rides on who creates an accessible look that Amazon thinks they can actually make and sell well for a reasonable price.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Trusted Contributor

@lkat @Ladylaughsalot @Porcelain @GenXmuse @Love my grandkids @LoriLori @SWEET @Yahooey @Icegoddess @DrKelli @momtochloe 

Greetings all!

I finally got talked into a 30-day trial of Amazon and binged- watched "Making the Cut." I really liked it - and I must agree with the list of reasons from Ms. Ikat.

To me, it was kind of nice not to see them sewing every single episode; it made it more of a Design Competition in the purest sense of the word.  

(Ms LoriX2 - I searched and searched for our last Project Runway posts from these boards in which you extensively discussed this show, but I cannot remember if you liked Making the Cut or not! Forgive me, it's a "Pandemic Brain" situation.)

For all the Project Runway fans: The budget for Making the Cut must have been astoundingly huge!!! Never mind the 1 million bucks in prize money - can you imagine the cash it must have taken to fly the cast to three different world capitols, set up remote shots and fashion shows at those locations and then hire NAOMI CAMPBELL and CARINE ROITFELD to be judges!? The sets, the pop-up shops, the mini-studios: Amazon spent MAJOR MONEY on this show.

(Making the Cut's budget for ONE season was probably equal to the budget of ALL 18 SEASONS of Project Runway!)

I will not mention the winner in case you haven't seen the show, but for glamour, world travel and production values alone, I gotta hand it to Making the Cut!   

Small matters: I wished they would stop endlessly saying "the next big global brand." We get it!

And, calling the mentoring sessions "Tim Talks," which, I suppose, was a nod to "Ted Talks," just didn't work for me. But that's because I love Christian Siriano as a menor more than Tim.

If you've binged it already, or in the midst of a binge, do post here. I would love to hear your comparision thoughts on PR vs MTC....(Hey, we know @momtochloe ---she started the SWATCH fan club!Heart )

Miss you all, miss life "as we knew it" before Covid. Hope you are all safe and staying healhty. xoxox

Honored Contributor

@MarnieRez3 Thank you so much for the rundown. You're so good to give us a thorough review of the series. I haven't watched it yet but I'm glad you enjoyed it. It's so great when we find a good show to sink our teeth into!