Respected Contributor

Re: Making the Cut (Tim & Heidi) now streaming Amazon Prime

@Icegoddess wrote:

Two episodes already?  It only started yesterday.  I need to figure out how to get it on my TV.  I do have a SmartTV, so should be easy.  At what time on Fridays does it become available?

I have a Smart TV, too, but wasn't able to figure out how to watch it on my TV, so I just watched the 1st 2 episodes on my computer. 

My TV doesn't have the app for Prime loaded on it already, so if anyone knows how to do that, I'd appreciate it.

Honored Contributor

@aubnwa01 wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

Two episodes already?  It only started yesterday.  I need to figure out how to get it on my TV.  I do have a SmartTV, so should be easy.  At what time on Fridays does it become available?

I have a Smart TV, too, but wasn't able to figure out how to watch it on my TV, so I just watched the 1st 2 episodes on my computer. 

My TV doesn't have the app for Prime loaded on it already, so if anyone knows how to do that, I'd appreciate it.

@aubnwa01 wrote:

@Icegoddess wrote:

It depends on the Smart TV. Some smart TVs aren't so smart. If the smart TV has an app store of some sort, you should find the Prime Video app there. Some older Smart TV's and DVD players are very, very limited in the ability to add apps. What you see is what you get with many of them. I highly recommend Rokus these days. I have a couple and they're very good devices. Fire Sticks are a bit more limited, but are okay. If you're a Comcast internet subscriber they have a free Roku-like box called Flex they'll give you to use for streaming, but I believe their box is even more limited than the Fire Sticks.

Fly!!! Eagles!!! Fly!!!
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@VaBelle35 wrote:

They have seamstresses that do most of the sewing for them.

@VaBelle35 

Interesting. In past seasons of PR a few designers who had good ideas but couldn’t execute them because they were bad at sewing were sent home. Having others sew your garments really puts a twist on that. 

While I understand designers in the real world have others do the sewing, I think I would miss not seeing the designers actually work on their garments from conception to actual completion.

If I was a Prime member I’d definitely be watching though. 

Honored Contributor

@wilma wrote:

@VaBelle35 wrote:

They have seamstresses that do most of the sewing for them.

@VaBelle35 

Interesting. In past seasons of PR a few designers who had good ideas but couldn’t execute them because they were bad at sewing were sent home. Having others sew your garments really puts a twist on that. 

While I understand designers in the real world have others do the sewing, I think I would miss not seeing the designers actually work on their garments from conception to actual completion.

If I was a Prime member I’d definitely be watching though. 

In episode two they did make them do some sewing for a haute coutour piece and one person who cannot sew at all was at a disadvantage.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Tim and Heidi are definitely having trouble with the new catch phrases that they are supposed to be using.

Is Tim no longer allowed to say "make it work?"  Does he no longer own that phrase?

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I don't know if they tell them how much money they have, but they are also using very luxurious fabrics.

The winner wins $1m and  a mentorship on all aspects of business and design to create their global brand.  Assume courtesy of Amazon as they don't say.  No product placements in this either that I could tell.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

There is a fantastic minute by minute recap on a website called goldderby

For those of you who do not have prime and can't watch.

I can't link to it because it has a million ads.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

The recaps have no photos of the looks.  I assume they are all owned by Amazon.

If you go on amazon and to the Makign the Cut site, you will find the looks for sale so far.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

Not surprising, the winning look is made out of 100% polyester vs the natural fiber used on the show.

No idea of the price as it's sold out.

Not sure why Amazon is allowing reviews of something people haven't purchased or received yet.

QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

The thing about seamstresses doing the sewing I remember Tim Gunn saying that is what he thought Project Runway was going to be like when he first joined.  He also mentioned that it might give a designer an excuse if their design didn't come out as planned, blame it on the seamstress.  

So, if seamstresses are doing all the sewing, what are the designers doing during all that time? 

I have a hard time with the concept of someone who can't sew being a top notch designer.  Just because you can put it on paper and it's gorgeous doesn't mean it'll translate to fabric.  There's got to be understanding of construction techniques and also how fabrics behave.  Many a PR designer has gotten themselves in trouble due to choosing a fabric that doesn't lend itself to their design.